Sun City Triathlon

Rolling Thunder

I have signed up to do the 11 Global triathlon at Sun City next month and need advice.

What is the level of difficulty compared to the JHBCityTri olympic distance?

I am not a good swimmer at all, I see that wetsuits are allowed unless the water temp is over 24.5. Would anyone not wear a wetsuit if they are allowed?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i ve done it for the last 3 years.great event!i am also not a good swimmer,last year i also bargained on the wetsuit,but no go,water to warm ,if i remember correctly.the wetsuit help alot.maybe we are lucky this year.the bike is nice and flat.just a few hills,but the run is a riller(for me)

good luck.enjoy!!!

The chances are zero that the water will be over 24 degrees so it should be ok for da Wetsuit. And if it is over 24 then you will not want to wear the suit believe me...

Just train harder on your swimming. I used to be useless. Not I am only half useless.

A few lessons made all the difference.

I dont really swim faster than before, I just swim with less effort. My coach gave me 4 lessons and my stroke count on 25metres reduced from 34 to only 22......

Also on the wetsuit issues I have a theory. Allow anyone who doesnt compete for a top 20 place to wear a wetsuit. Why not? I come in 200th in any case so allowing me my wetsuit is not going to impact on the race? It does however make a huge difference to my personal race.

When next month?.... Maybe i could give it agao again. Its been about 13 years since I last did a tri at Suncity, always used to be in October and was a lekker weekend away...mind you that climb up the road to the main hotel complex from the car park was always a bit of a ßitch on the run and ride, but then i think they changed the route since those days....

Its a great event. The water is a lekker temp and the water quality is superb. The bike is pretty flat but the run has a nasty hill right in the beginning.

Wish I could do it again this year, but alas we now live in the Cape.

My memory is different to everyone else's. the bike is fairly flat apart from the very nasty hill from the entrance to teh cascades, which you do twice, it is hard. the run is quite hard. last year it was exceptionally hot and that is waht made it so hard.

in my mind it is quite a lot harder than the JHb City series.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to book accommodation for the weekend Nov 12 and 13 for wife and myself where can I stay besides Sun City that's affordable, decent and fairly close to Sun City. Any recommendations ?

I want to book accommodation for the weekend Nov 12 and 13 for wife and myself where can I stay besides Sun City that's affordable, decent and fairly close to Sun City. Any recommendations ?

Theres a great B&B in Rustenburg. Google Mary's View.