Neck brace for use with normal helmet

SurfRat

Hi,

I have a trail style mountain bike that falls between a downhill and a cross country style of bike. I ride with a standard cross country style helmet. I am riding more aggressively

and taking on more jumps and feel that I need a neck brace to help with those big hits.

Has anyone tried a neck brace with a normal helmet (not a full face helmet)? Are they still effective? Recommendations?

Thanks

Mark.

Doesnt work, U have to use a full face.

If you are going to fall hard enough to break your neck you would also break your jaw without a full face.

Just go out and buy a full face and a neck brace. Speak to Omegaman he can sort you out with one.

A neck brace is to stop compression on your spine. Image if you were to crash really hard on the top of your head. Your head would push down hard on your spine. The brace like the Leatt transfers this compression onto your shoulders rather.

But yes, a fullface helmet is a big step up in safety from the normal XC lid. It's a good step forward to being safer. (ps - CRC is the way to go)

(ps - CRC is the way to go)

Im gonna have to disagree with you there, you have to remember once you get it here they add 40% duties and then 14% VAT on top of that so ends up being just as if not more expensive as buying it here, and besides support the LBS's!

Guest Omega Man

A neck brace is to stop compression on your spine. Image if you were to crash really hard on the top of your head. Your head would push down hard on your spine. The brace like the Leatt transfers this compression onto your shoulders rather.

But yes, a fullface helmet is a big step up in safety from the normal XC lid. It's a good step forward to being safer. (ps - CRC is the way to go)

A neck brace helps with Flexion type injuries. (head moving too far forward, back and side to side)

A neck brace cannot help you in the instance of a compression type of injury unfortunately so your statement is untrue I'm afraid. They are designed to protect you from flexion injuries.

Using a neck brace with any xc or dirt jump lid is a waste of time as the braces are designed to act on the shell of the helmet to transfer force away from your cervical spine (Neck) and into a brace.

Hope that helps.

http://www.omegabrace.com/why-omega

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Im gonna have to disagree with you there, you have to remember once you get it here they add 40% duties and then 14% VAT on top of that so ends up being just as if not more expensive as buying it here, and besides support the LBS's!

CWC are selling a complete range of 661 helmets. Greg Minnaar's shop in PMB are bringing in the uber sexual OGK helmets. They are 3-4k as far as I know.

A neck brace helps with Flexion type injuries. (head moving too far forward, back and side to side)

A neck brace cannot help you in the instance of a compression type of injury unfortunately so your statement is untrue I'm afraid. They are designed to protect you from flexion injuries.

Using a neck brace with any xc or dirt jump lid is a waste of time as the braces are designed to act on the shell of the helmet to transfer force away from your cervical spine (Neck) and into a brace.

Hope that helps.

Really? I was always under the impression it helped for compression too? My bad. I stand corrected.

I've never paid 40% duties on helmets from CRC (bought many), just the usual. My last full face I paid 60% less from CRC than the LBS.

Support the LBS? Hang on, don't you work for a LBS? and are you not a minor? Neeeeeext

Guest Omega Man

Really? I was always under the impression it helped for compression too? My bad. I stand corrected.

Yeah. A popular misconception. Alpinestar apparently claim SOME compression reduction but I'm not sure about that.

Guest Omega Man

I've never paid 40% duties on helmets from CRC (bought many), just the usual. My last full face I paid 60% less from CRC than the LBS.

Support the LBS? Hang on, don't you work for a LBS? and are you not a minor? Neeeeeext

Seriously? I got hammered when I bought my helmet. I think Manchillz has it wrong tho. I'm pretty sure the duty is 20% on helmets.

Yeah. A popular misconception. Alpinestar apparently claim SOME compression reduction but I'm not sure about that.

No, it makes sense what you're saying. It would explain all the stuff I read about Leatts injuring spines from the brace pressing against it on certain impacts. I don't use one. Would it be wise to try one out? At the moment I use a normal CF Giro Remedy.

Guest Omega Man

No, it makes sense what you're saying. It would explain all the stuff I read about Leatts injuring spines from the brace pressing against it on certain impacts. I don't use one. Would it be wise to try one out? At the moment I use a normal CF Giro Remedy.

I'll send you a pm

why?

Guest Omega Man

why?

Noooo. Please let's not make it a CRC vs LBS debate again. This is about neck brace usage.

its a scientific FACT that the head is excellent for absorbing those "big hits"

the skull is layered with a thin layer of fat that acts as a cushion. this natural layer of fat has 10 times the energy absorption of polystyrene foam which is commonly used for helmet construction. helmets tend to transfer shock-waves into the base of the neck and skull causing severe injury and or paralysis. the whole point of a neck-brace is to counteract the effects of wearing a helmet.

rather ride without a helmet, and try and land on your head whenever possible to prevent injury to the rest of the body!

Edited by kamikaze

its a scientific FACT that the head is excellent for absorbing those "big hits"

the skull is layered with a thin layer of fat that acts as a cushion. this natural layer of fat has 10 times the energy absorption of polystyrene foam which is commonly used for helmet construction. helmets tend to transfer shock-waves into the base of the neck and skull causing severe injury and or paralysis. the whole point of a neck-brace is to counteract the effects of wearing a helmet.

rather ride without a helmet, and try and land on your head whenever possible to prevent injury to the rest of the body!

Hey I'd love to read some of these scientific tests on this. Please provide some links.