Neck brace for use with normal helmet

SurfRat

Thanks for the input. Bummer... I was hoping to be able to use a neck brace with my XC helmet. The problem is that I do a lot of trail riding (up and down) which includes hectic downhill sections. A good example is Tokai. Up on the road and single track (only up on the single track early in the morning on a week day 6am :) and then the blast down all the single track with most of the jumps included.

I will overheat on the uphills using a full face helmet and to be honest look a real arse :) I regularly wipe and have perfected the art of the roll but I am not as young (now 46) as I used to be but still love the hectic downhill sections.

Time for the neck brace guys to design a suitable brace for the non full face helmet crowd.

Guest Omega Man

its a scientific FACT that the head is excellent for absorbing those "big hits"

the skull is layered with a thin layer of fat that acts as a cushion. this natural layer of fat has 10 times the energy absorption of polystyrene foam which is commonly used for helmet construction. helmets tend to transfer shock-waves into the base of the neck and skull causing severe injury and or paralysis. the whole point of a neck-brace is to counteract the effects of wearing a helmet.

rather ride without a helmet, and try and land on your head whenever possible to prevent injury to the rest of the body!

Please refer us to your source of scientific FACT.

Thanks for the input. Bummer... I was hoping to be able to use a neck brace with my XC helmet. The problem is that I do a lot of trail riding (up and down) which includes hectic downhill sections. A good example is Tokai. Up on the road and single track (only up on the single track early in the morning on a week day 6am :) and then the blast down all the single track with most of the jumps included.

I will overheat on the uphills using a full face helmet and to be honest look a real arse :) I regularly wipe and have perfected the art of the roll but I am not as young (now 46) as I used to be but still love the hectic downhill sections.

Time for the neck brace guys to design a suitable brace for the non full face helmet crowd.

Well, you'll look even more of an arse if you face plant a pine tree on one of those DH's ;)

Why not just strap the full face to your pack for the road up? Why would you need a helmet riding up a fire road? Also, nobody will think any different of you what helmet you choose to wear. Rather, if you are trying stuff (jumps, railing etc) just protect yourself. I even see dudes up there with jeans, t-shirt and a full face.

Another option is this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58789

surfrat, they way i see it is you have three options:

1. get a full-face helmet/neckbrace combo

2. fall less

3. slow down

Guest Omega Man

IMHO a neck brace is not the be all and end all of protection. Far from it. In fact there is a vast amount of anecdotal evidence to suggest they actually do a bad job of protecting your neck whilst placing your spine, clavicles and larynx at risk.

Of course for every person saying this there are 100 swearing that a neck brace saved them from certain death cos they bumped into a tree.

They trade on your fear of a wheelchair when the back piece of some of them run DIRECTLY down your spine and given the right set of circumstances could sever your thoracic spine (back). Net effect. you are still in a chair.

This thing we do is dangerous. Injury is a real threat. Thinking a neck brace is some sort of elixir that will prevent injury is unrealistic. I say start with the best helmet you can afford and go from there.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor just a dude who likes bikes.

surfrat, they way i see it is you have three options:

1. get a full-face helmet/neckbrace combo

2. fall less

3. slow down

Options 2 and 3 won't happen so I guess it's go big or go home....

Seriously? I got hammered when I bought my helmet. I think Manchillz has it wrong tho. I'm pretty sure the duty is 20% on helmets.

Depends how they feel, i got charged 40% because it had material inside it, therefore it was classified as clothing, which is 40%.

Depends how they feel, i got charged 40% because it had material inside it, therefore it was classified as clothing, which is 40%.

Helmets should go down as protective equipment. Should have challenged that then.

Guest Omega Man

If you buy a helmet over CRC and then smash it up it "might" be a problem to get the local guys to support the helmet replacement program, so that may be a good reason to rather try and get it locally.

Edit: Also, a quick question specifically regarding fullface helmets, how do one determine what is a good helmet? Is it mainly about looking out for well-known brands or can one actually look for specific characteristics on the helmet that will show whether it is good/bad?

Edited by MariusD

OmegaMan what am I looking at price wise for a FF helmet and a brace. Please give me links so I can have a look...