Zula vs 29er

El Dodgius Bastardo

With Christmas rapidly approaching, I've been thinking of a little from CF to CF gift. The problem is that I'm not sure which direction to go.

Option 1 is to buy a Zula frame and move the bits and pieces from my current bike across to the Zula. In terms of the equipment, it's Fulcrum Red Metal 3 wheels, Formula brakes, Rockshox Revelation fork (might have to change this for warranty purposes), Syntace P6 carbon seatpost and stem, Fizik Wing Flex saddle, FSA headset and the rest XT. The big pro of this option is that I'll have a Morewood!

Option 2 is to move to a dual sus 29er. I'll probably look at the Giant Anthem X, Scott Spark, Gary Fisher Superfly 100, Momsen Dual Link 6 and the new 2012 Cube range. Big plus is that I get to keep the Cube Stereo for more technical stuff and have the 29er for races.

In terms of riding, I guess I'm a typical GP boy. Spend most of my time doing more XC type riding than trail stuff as that's what we tend to have up here. I have to admit that I haven't given a 29er a proper test drive as you don't really have many opportunities to do this, so whilst I've read all of the cool aid drinker's opinions, there's still have an element of doubt.

I'm really not trying to initiate a 26er vs 29er peeing contest, just hoping for some informed opinions.

Or, maybe I'm just a bike ho and trying to justify spending money.

Edited by Captain Fantastic

Keep your 26er and get a 29er. That way you will have the best of both worlds. Those new Cube 29ers that are coming look really hot....

From what i've heard JHB trails are not too technical and fairly smooth. For this type of riding i would take a 29'er.

If you were talking Tokai single track, Contermans Kloof, Oak Valley Black or Lebanon i would rate a Zula as the better option.

Keep your 26er and get a 29er. That way you will have the best of both worlds. Those new Cube 29ers that are coming look really hot....

Agree with you keeping my Zulagetting my Momsen 29er (AL729) early November :clap:

Get the 29'er and you have both. Get the Zula and you have one and a half 26'ers... (I have a Zula, hunting for a "...Love Dad" 29'er myself! Ibis Ripley, anticipation is torture!

Okay so here I can give my opinion as I had both.

I have a Zula and bought a Momsen SL929 which is a top of the range carbon 29er hardtail. Very recently I sold the 29er and kept the Zula and i dont regret my decision one minute.

Okay the 29er was a hardtail but still the Zula is a awesome bike and I wont trade it for another bike soon.

Edited by koukie

Zula! Or perhaps a Zula. But if you really want to be daring the Zula. But if you're short of cash...the Zula. If you like technical, downhill pump action riding on handlebars...Zula. On the otherhand, if you're looking for fun, comfort and ride enjoyment then get the Zula

Zula! Or perhaps a Zula. But if you really want to be daring the Zula. But if you're short of cash...the Zula. If you like technical, downhill pump action riding on handlebars...Zula. On the otherhand, if you're looking for fun, comfort and ride enjoyment then get the Zula

Well said :thumbup:

Edited by koukie

Why choose ? You can have a Morewood and a 29er in a Kwela 29er

Have you looked at the TOMAC range as an option too ?

I am the opposite, have a 26" full sus and bought the 29er hard tail. Kept the 26 for the longer and more technical races and ridden it in 6 months. Hardtail 29er is the way to go. Faster and more enjoyable

I am the opposite, have a 26" full sus and bought the 29er hard tail. Kept the 26 for the longer and more technical races and ridden it in 6 months. Hardtail 29er is the way to go. Faster and more enjoyable

So if I use Chubba's rational and your profile location I would say that Pietermaritzburg is flat and not technical.

The end story and decision making pivots on this answer: "what do you want to ride" and the second answer, very closely related "what bike do you enjoy riding". The lesson from this conversation is that other people shouldn't decide what bike or make or size or colour bike you should ride.

Hi CF

I was fortunate to ride Sani and Epic last year on the Zula.

This year I am riding the Anthem X 29er.

I missed the Zula everyday on Sani this year.

I can describe it this way, the Zula is a guided missile, point and it follows. The Anthem X is a cluster bomb, when you just want to ride over everything. For the rocky western cape I love the Giant.

For a majority of GP riding as you describe I would have to say the Zula will be more than you will ever need and give you endless enjoyment.

my 2 cents

I buy more with my heart than my head - and make no apologies for it - so for me it'd be the Zula for sure.

I've no doubt those 29ers you mention are great bikes, but for me about they're a bit like cycling mashed potato, they tick all the right boxes, but don't exactly get you excited for dinner.

Morewood has some kudos for being local (insofar as that's possible) and have quite a reputation as great riding bikes that are more than just trial bikes, or race bikes, etc. That makes them just that little bit special, which the others just aren't.

That said, if you buy with your head and ride mainly in Gauteng, then the other poster have already given you the answer.

Happy shopping either way

Thanks for all the input. I managed to test ride a couple of 29ers and the nimbleness of the 26er just works better for me. So Zula it is! I'll post a photo when it's ready for action