Fastest 29'er for R50,000 ?

stockcarracer

Hi All,

Advice please, I've got R50k to spend and want a 29'er before xmas for xc and marathon racing. My parameters:

1. I'm 169cm and 64kg.

2. weight matters - must not weigh more than 9.5kg (w/o pedals) if hardtail of 10.5kg if dual.

3. Must come with a decent frame and warranty for it.

4. Will build myself or buy "off the shelf".

5. Budget R50k (will consider good condition 2nd hand for up to R40k)

Grateful for your collective expertise!!

Thanks.

Edited by stockcarracer

Firstly, as i am sure you are well aware, the legs make the speed, not the bike!

Secondly, 50k is a huge budget, spend some time searching and reading the various threads about this exact question.

Thirdly, go test ride every bike you have one your list, only you will be able to say what is the best bike for you.

My choices for XC:

Santa Cruz Tall Boy

Niner Jet9 RDO

Specialized Epic Carbon

The specialized camber 29er pro will be the most comfortable bike but does not fit in with your weight specifications.

Just try it you are guaranteed to fall on love with the bike.

The specialized camber 29er pro will be the most comfortable bike but does not fit in with your weight specifications.

Just try it you are guaranteed to fall on love with the bike.

If only we could get those Camber 29ers at the prices detailed on the US website... :(

What a k@k OP??? No wonder my bike is slow, I paid a lot less for it........angry.gif

I'm probably just jealous because I don't have R50K to spend on a bike......tongue.gif

for a small outjie who wants to race (for real like), go for a hardtail race demon like a Cannondale Flash or Spes HT, especially if you are doing single-dayers. (Or Mannie's Merida like WW says, great spec, interesting choice of colours.)

Multi-day, Spesh Epic, Trek Superfly, Cannondale Scalpel. All awesome lightweight 29'ers, and can be had in one form or another on your budget.

Edited by DawieO

I would look at the stumpjumper and cannondale flash. Merida big nine looks good as well. Think the cannondale flash carbon 29er 1 sells for R56000. Not sure about the cannondale and Merida. Oh and how can i forget, the scott scale rc 29er is about your budget as well

1. If you are old enough to own your own house or car, buy a 29'er of R25k and put the rest down on debt. Unless you are world calibre, a R25k 29'er would be just as fast as a R50k bike.

2. If you are NOT of house/car owning age, give your dad his money back. No kid should have a bike that expensive.

A lot of decisions in Cycling now-a-days are difficult with all the options available but this time, the answer to your question is Simple...

For exactly R50k you should buy a 2012 Specialized Epic Carbon Expert 29er full susser.

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/contentbike.php?range=200&year=&bike=293

It's proven to be the fastest... wridden this year to the following results

2011 World MTB XC Champion with Kulhavy

2011 World MTB Marathon 2nd place with Kulhavy

(1st place was Sauser on a Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 29er)

and

1st at the 2011 ABSA Cape Epic with Stander and Sauser,

The only difficulty is finding one...

Otherwise you get a 2012 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert Hardtail for R34k - I know where to find you a small...

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/contentbike.php?range=201&year=&bike=313

If only we could get those Camber 29ers at the prices detailed on the US website... :(

You can...

(PS. USA web prices always exclude VAT, because each state has it's own tax rate)

Thanks All for this quick advice. Useful and narrows it down a little but has got me back in two minds an epic vs hardtail .... Specialized seem to have a few availability issues if you go by their website.

Any views on the new Momsem SL929 ? Or would it be better to just buy a secondhand 26" now everyone wants a 29'er..(i see a few s-works epic going on here)?

Cheers,

Thanks.

p.s. i realize it's about the engine not the bike, and I'd ultimately be lighter and richer if I could just stay off the pies. But I like pies. This is just bike lust. There's absolutely no way to justify it. But the mortgage is paid off and I could die tomorrow with money in the bank....

Bla

Bla

Your legs make the bike fast. If you don't want the comfort of a dual susser then buy the hardtail and hammer it.

I just ordered a new dual susser. But with 26" wheels. Everything else is rubbish and my legs will make sure I beat most of the 29er - and if not it's not about the bike but the machine powering the bike. :D

Edited by rob!