Commuting from CT Southern Suburbs

JohnnyReggae

I'm considering starting a commute to work on a few days a week. I really need to get my fitness up and weight down, and due to work/home circumstances am finding it very difficult to find time otherwise to put in the long exercise hours needed.

I live in the deep-ish South, Muizenberg way, and need to get to Rondebosch/Rosebank. What is the safest route to travel while still trying to maintain the fastest way of getting there?

I'm slow and I haven't ridden a bicycle in around 5 years or so. My unicycle is not fast enough to make it an economical trip, particularly with not being able to free-wheel either .... so it has to be my trusty and rusty mountain bike that has been hanging up for the last 5 years.

Any advice/tips ?

Thanks, cheers :)

Whenever I cycled in your area, I always just went up the M5 (Prince George Drive), the yellow line was big enough and traffic not too bad, but was not in peak hour, was on a Saturday morning which is also busy at times. You can just cycle down the M5 and then go up the Racecourse Road bridge onto Chichester Road towards Rondebosch.

Try driving yoour route first and pickout a smooth route that will give enough yellow line area to stay clear of traffic.

Thanks man, although I'm not overly keen on riding on the M5 and it is illegal AFAIK. I'm quite happy with some back roads that have less traffic on them.

Hey JR. I've just stated comuting to work and back. I ride from Kirstenhof, and take Spaanscmacht over Ladies Mile. Right into Constantia main under M3 bridge, left over, what I think is called Alphen hill, but it's pat the military hospital. Left at lights past Chelsea village up towadrs Wineburg hill. Take a right at the light up past wineburg school, Herchel walk, and left into Newlands drive/ave. Right at circle towards main rd Claremont. Over lights and bridge. For those that are into that 3 stump game, Newlands Cricket field will be on your left. At the lights hand left into Camp ground rd. Right at the main intersection toward Rounebosch Common. I think you"ll know where you are from there.

And by the way, your RUSTY old steed will be the BEST way to commute. I'm looking to geta cheepie single speed soon. Not to happy riding the old carbon rd bike, and there is NO WAY my MTB sees tar.....it will never let me ride it again.

Good luck getting it sorted....been the best thing I've done in years. Oh I go on to Maitland.

Hey JR. I've just stated comuting to work and back. I ride from Kirstenhof, and take Spaanscmacht over Ladies Mile. Right into Constantia main under M3 bridge, left over, what I think is called Alphen hill, but it's pat the military hospital. Left at lights past Chelsea village up towadrs Wineburg hill. Take a right at the light up past wineburg school, Herchel walk, and left into Newlands drive/ave. Right at circle towards main rd Claremont. Over lights and bridge. For those that are into that 3 stump game, Newlands Cricket field will be on your left. At the lights hand left into Camp ground rd. Right at the main intersection toward Rounebosch Common. I think you"ll know where you are from there.

And by the way, your RUSTY old steed will be the BEST way to commute. I'm looking to geta cheepie single speed soon. Not to happy riding the old carbon rd bike, and there is NO WAY my MTB sees tar.....it will never let me ride it again.

Good luck getting it sorted....been the best thing I've done in years. Oh I go on to Maitland.

Thanks for the detailed info LOUDMAC :) Appreciate it. Nice route. Question, or rather 2. How far is it to the Common and how long does it take you to get there. oh yes... and what sort of time in the mornings do you ride ? Just want an idea of the amount of traffic.

Johnny, can't give you an idea of the traffic, but I ride that route quite often from Rondebosch. At a rough guess, give yourself 3/4 to 1 hour to the common. And you don't need to worry about traffic. (Remember, Wednesday 19th is ride to work day.)

Hi Johnny

Wheelie all the way, I know you can!

The last part of your route, from the intersection Edinburgh Drive and Paradise Road, you can avoid the traffic virtually all the way to the Common by going along the Liesbeek River Trail. It links up next to the Shell garage. You'll have to do a few back streets past the Vineyard Hotel and pick it up again behind the Newlands Swimming Pool. It crosses main Road at Dean Street and runs past the Rugby stadium. It will take you to within about a block of the Southern end of the Common. Last bit from the Rondebosch business area along Belmont Rd & over the bridge.

Edited by DJR

Hi Johnny

Wheelie all the way, I know you can!

The last part of your route, from the intersection Edinburgh Drive and Paradise Road, you can avoid the traffic virtually all the way to the Common by going along the Liesbeek River Trail. It links up next to the Shell garage. You'll have to do a few back streets past the Vineyard Hotel and pick it up again behind the Newlands Swimming Pool. It crosses main Road at Dean Street and runs past the Rugby stadium. It will take you to within about a block of the Southern end of the Common. Last bit from the Rondebosch business area along Belmont Rd & over the bridge.

I could wheelie all the way :lol: It would be my preferred mode of transport ... unfortunately not the most efficient :)

I really like the back-route. I much prefer having to deal with as little traffic as possible, and it also cuts across the other route mentioned. Thanks for the extra info.

Hey jonny. Sorry for the late reply. Takes me about 50 min to Maitland. I would say knock off 10min to Common. It's 27km for my commute. I leave home @ 7:30. Trffic is not too bad. But you do need to be awake, so hit the caffiene before you jump on. I find it better when there is some traffic, cars are going slower and don't move erratic.

Edited by LOUDMAC