The First Few KM's

I picked up in recent times, training more often now and more aware. That the first few k's my breathing is high but after a while it comes normal.

Is there a technique or training technique to maybe reduce that amount of time.

Remember the moment you start your activity the demand for oxygen and nutrients, transported through your logistical support system (blood) increases. At first your brain redistributes blood from non-active areas to active areas and then your brain has to decide which energy system to use - aerobic/anaerobic, for which it uses your lactate threshold as switch between the two. This all forms part of your brain's anticipatory regulation function. Reducing the time for reaching your optimum level of exertion requires specific lactate threshold training, focusing on generating lactate and then on processing lactate. So, yes, you can condition your body ...

Remember the moment you start your activity the demand for oxygen and nutrients, transported through your logistical support system (blood) increases. At first your brain redistributes blood from non-active areas to active areas and then your brain has to decide which energy system to use - aerobic/anaerobic, for which it uses your lactate threshold as switch between the two. This all forms part of your brain's anticipatory regulation function. Reducing the time for reaching your optimum level of exertion requires specific lactate threshold training, focusing on generating lactate and then on processing lactate. So, yes, you can condition your body ...

PHHHEEWWWW,

So it's normal...

As Enticement states, it can be trained, but oxygen debt can be extremely uncomfortable. Joe Friel describes the methods in his training bibles, and how to incorporate it into your training schedule. Otherwise, one can make use of a reputable coach for effective ideas.

the answer is a good warmup

Remember the warm-up gets nullified when you stand in the starting shoot and wait for the race to begin - the quickest way in a race is that "balls-to-the-wall" start!

Remember the warm-up gets nullified when you stand in the starting shoot and wait for the race to begin - the quickest way in a race is that "balls-to-the-wall" start!

I'm telling you it's "regtig" a sh!tty feeling.

I always tought of it as being the Fatique barrier.

As Enticement states, it can be trained, but oxygen debt can be extremely uncomfortable. Joe Friel describes the methods in his training bibles, and how to incorporate it into your training schedule. Otherwise, one can make use of a reputable coach for effective ideas.

The discomfort as a result of oxygen debt is from the brain taking the oxygen molecule from H20 and the H2 remains - it leads to decrease in pH and increase in your level of acidity. The body interprets that as "pain", but it is only "virtual". How do you get use to it? Well expose your brain to the condition through mind coaching and physical experience ...

The discomfort as a result of oxygen debt is from the brain taking the oxygen molecule from H20 and the H2 remains - it leads to decrease in pH and increase in your level of acidity. The body interprets that as "pain", but it is only "virtual". How do you get use to it? Well expose your brain to the condition through mind coaching and physical experience ...

That's basically what I'm doing.

'cause the ride therafter is awesome, always

That is part of the problem right there for us weekend warriors. You have to get to the shute early to get a good starting position. There is no chance of a decent warmup just before the race starts, if you do the penalty is to start at the very back of the pack. And then we try and keep up with the pro's (who have warmed up properly and start at the very front anyway) when the gun goes... silly really.

That is part of the problem right there for us weekend warriors. You have to get to the shute early to get a good starting position. There is no chance of a decent warmup just before the race starts, if you do the penalty is to start at the very back of the pack. And then we try and keep up with the pro's (who have warmed up properly and start at the very front anyway) when the gun goes... silly really.

Its still ok with mtb XCM races as often the start is a neutral zone. With XCO it becomes something to get use to. Training for it is starts at 110% effort for 30sec. That is also why seeding becomes an imperative - our XCOSA.CO.ZA Series at Fountains starting 28/1/12 has 4 races for seeding for the Grand Finale in Nov 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

I get this too. Not only is it a physical barrier, but a mental one too. You immediately start thinking "I am not feeling strong today and I still have 152km to go - oh dear".