Tyre pairing - Nevegal and Spez Purgatory

wesley_r

Hey hubbers

Wanted to get your opinion. On my Commencal Meta 5.5 I'm currently running a Maxxis High Roller 2.5 front with Kenda Nevegal 2.35 rear, on Alex SupraBH freeride rims (tubeless, both UST versions of the tyres). Riding style is trail / AM type stuff with the occasional XC race (fun ride).

I'm loving the grip of the high roller but find it too heavy, and wanted to get another 2.35 Nevegal for the front, but can't find stock anywhere (and the supplier doesn't know when stock is coming)

I was in Revolution Cycles the other day, and they suggested I chuck the Nevegal I have on the front and put a Spez Purgatory 2.2 on the back (apparently the Spez tyres run pretty wide).

What's your thoughts on that combo? Anything else I should consider?

Kenda Excavator in place of the Nevegal, rolls way faster with the same grip. Not sure about the front maybe an Excavator 2.35 front and 2.1 rear will have mega grip and will roll way faster than anything with AM levels of grip.