downhill world cup selection

Behan

how does the selection proses work for the downhill world cup? Does it work on the points that you got at the nationals?

Please give mje any info you have! :clap:

Guest Omega Man

As far as I know you need 20 UCI points to ride in a World Cup. Points are awarded in Elites for placings in the Nationals and SA champs. The points stay with you for a year.

Guest Omega Man

I don't think any points are awarded in provincial races. Only Nationals and SA Champs. More points are awarded at SA's

Points are only awarded in the Elites and Junior men categories. You require a racing license to race in these categories which requires joining a club.

How many points are awarded for each finish? Does anyone know this?

example I finished 3rd in Elites at the last national. How many points is given for 3rd, so I know what is needed to be done at the start of the season next year to make it.

You'll need to amass as many national points as you can in your Junior or Elite age group. Unless you've kicked some butt in various World Cups, which would mean you're okay for representing SA as you have the points. But then up to selectors from what I remember.

Omega man is right ... you need 20 UCI points to be eligable to race a WORLD CUP round ...

These points are only awarded in the Elite and Junior cats. @ racestrong ... I think with a 3rd you will have enough points already!

According to the UCI rule book:

National Championships: (ELITE)

1st - 110

2nd - 90

3rd - 70

4th - 60

5th - 50

Goes down to 25th (1 point)

Continental Champs: (ELITE)

1st - 200

2nd - 150

3rd - 120

4th - 100

5th - 95

goes down to 40th (3 points)

doesnt say anything for National Series events ... just for National Champs!

Thanks Nigel.

I found something online on UCI web about the National Series points, there are slightly less points given out for them compared to Champs, and they are further split up into UCI rated Category 1,2,3. Not sure what our Series events are rated, so will have to see.

Hey Race Strong! Diddnt you ride a white mongoose at the last national in Hartebeespoort? Are your initials by any chance RF?

AWESOME MAN!!! You ride MX and Supermoto right? I was riding a white and blue Giant Glory 01!

I raced MX for a good couple of years, and Supermoto for 4 years.

Now I am concentrating on DH for a few years, see what it is like, and I love it so far!

Didnt you bust your collarbone or shoulder at that race?

Haha thats awesome man! Yeah I crashed on that double near the finish! Smashed my collar bone in the proses :blush: