How to become an elite male

Let's Ride

As the question states.

How do I start in the elite male group instead of my normal ppa group?

What ppa group must you be in, in order to be able to become/register as an elite?

Thanks. :).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,

Right now working my way up but it's s*** always coming 1st, 2nd or 3rd in your start group while if you were properly seeded your time would be much better.

I rode the Oudtshoorn race today and in the seeded group (aa) I came in the top 3 but if I started with the first bunch it would have been much easier (elites and vets).

Time trialing is much more difficult compared to sitting in a bunch and only doing minute stints upfront.

So now my time isn't that great but if you take into consideration it was a solo ride then it's actually a great time.

Thanks,

Right now working my way up but it's s*** always coming 1st, 2nd or 3rd in your start group while if you were properly seeded your time would be much better.

I rode the Oudtshoorn race today and in the seeded group (aa) I came in the top 3 but if I started with the first bunch it would have been much easier (elites and vets).

Time trialing is much more difficult compared to sitting in a bunch and only doing minute stints upfront.

So now my time isn't that great but if you take into consideration it was a solo ride then it's actually a great time.

Like the saying goes, you must first crawl before you can walk. We have all started at the back,and slowly climbing the PPA ladder for a better seeding. Be patient dude!

Like the saying goes, you must first crawl before you can walk. We have all started at the back,and slowly climbing the PPA ladder for a better seeding. Be patient dude!

I know I used to cycle very competitively 3 years ago and my seeding was great(well at that time).

One day I will start in a good group.

Yes it takes time. Obviously like in any sport you can't just start at the top. And you might be in for a wake-up, because it seems from your post that Elites and Vets are not that hard if you just sit in the bunch.

What is your current seeding?

And why didn't you rather ride the Engen Cape Town?

Yes it takes time. Obviously like in any sport you can't just start at the top. And you might be in for a wake-up, because it seems from your post that Elites and Vets are not that hard if you just sit in the bunch.

What is your current seeding?

And why didn't you rather ride the Engen Cape Town?

No man, elites ride extremely fast and I know it's tough but in the Oudtshoorn race the best normal seeded people weren't that great so I ended up riding the whole race on my own. I'm sure that if I started in the first group (elites and vets) I could have had a way better time.

I did this race as it's a seeding event for the Argus as right now my only Argus seeding events are from 3 years back.

Currently N but they re seeded me to K (Would be higher but it includes 2 races from years ago).

I would also like less dangerous riders as in the lower groups you get people with I pods, they can't hold their line as well as loads of wheel sucking and the excuse 'I'm to tired to do any work upfront'.

Anyways, my question has been answered. Once I get fitter and work my way up and feel comfortable possibly racing elites I will move over.

Have a great day fellow cyclists.

I'm sure that if I started in the first group (elites and vets) I could have had a way better time.

Seems like you are missing the point Andydude pointed out, you have to work to get to the Elite bunch. You can't just start there.

Just because you rode away from the rest of H bunch, doesn't mean you should get bumped up to Elites.

Racing there is hard man and you kotz your lungs out every couple of km's!

Interesting topic

I would never have made it.Not enough training.

My son made the move to Elite this year at 20 yrs.He is very fit tho and trains very hard both mtb and road.He seems to be holding his own and did 2.26 I think yesterday.

He really has committed himself completely and I think that is the key

I 'rode away' from the normal seeded group as no good non elites entered the race it seems.

What I am trying to say is that if I could have somehow started in the 1st group I would have had a better race. In a normal race where loads of people participate the normal seeded groups are good and they ride fast. This race wasn't very well attended so the normal seeded group (a - z) wasn't very great.

Interesting topic

I would never have made it.Not enough training.

My son made the move to Elite this year at 20 yrs.He is very fit tho and trains very hard both mtb and road.He seems to be holding his own and did 2.26 I think yesterday.

He really has committed himself completely and I think that is the key

The winning time was 2:40 something... Possibly talking bout the engen race?

Only saw your other post with your seeding now. K - you have a long way to go still bud, be patient.

There is method in the madness with the seeding system! We were all once the oak the couldn't hold his line. You need to learn bike handling and bunch riding skills before riding at the top. Imagine the k@k it would cause if any noob and his mate were allowed to start with Elites. You pick up those skills as you move up the ranks.

Although there are some tjops that never pick up those skills in the Elite bunch even but luckily you learnt to avoid them too! :D