Heia Safari?

Iron Midge

Is it safe to swim at Heia Safari? I have heard various rumors / stories about hippos. Has anyone got any further info? Not many open water swims around JHB, after my 600m swim (run) at the BSG Harties I need all the practise I can get!

Heia is fine, swam there last in April so if they have in the meantime got some hippos, but as far as I know no Hippo's. Water quality is good and the wildlife there is quite nice to see as well. They charge R50 for a swim but it is worth it.

There was a hippo about 2 years ago but the hippo moved on from what I know.

But you can just phone them and ask.

Also did my last swim there in April....best open water swim in Gauteng by a mile!! :clap:

I swim there at least once or twice a month from August this year - never had any issues nor have they warned me about hippos or anything else for that matter when I paid for the swimming at reception

No hippo's at present but there were at some point in the reserves history. But I wouldn't worry - if the Chomp or Hippo.co.za adverts are anything to go by hippos are actuallly friendly, jovial creatures that make brilliant swimming companions.

Just called Heia Safari and had the oddest conversation:

Do you have any Hippos?

No, and we never had

So there are no Hippos in the water?

It isn't our hippo!!

wtf?

There was a hippo there. It moved on to Northern Farms for a bit then causing some chaos in Dieplsluit. Have not heard of its whereabouts for about a year now.

I was told it still comes into Heia Safari at night. Hopefully it doesn't hang around when people go for a swim

Just called Heia Safari and had the oddest conversation:

Do you have any Hippos?

No, and we never had

So there are no Hippos in the water?

It isn't our hippo!!

wtf?

:clap: :lol: