Midlands ULTRA Triathlon - WELL DONE ALL Competitors!

B-Active Sports

2012 Midlands ULTRA Tri-Series

Event 1: 4th March 2012

Event 2: 7th October 2012

The Midlands Ultra incorporates some of the safest training routes and most scenic venue of any triathlon in Africa, rivaling many ½ ironman distance triathlons around the world. The routes are set along the ambling Midlands roads, which offer beautiful country scenery and ambling hills.

In 2012 we will be growing this popular event into a two part series, giving triathletes not only the fastest ½ iron man distance race in South Africa, but two of them. The ½ ironman distance event will consist of a 1.9km Swim, 90km Cycle and a 21km run and the popular Sprint distance event, will consists of a 600m swim, 20km cycle and a 5km run.

A New running route in 2012, will see the competitors running 2 laps of a 10.5km completely tarred running course. The new running route is all set inside the Midmar Dam resort, it is one of the flattest and fastest in the country and boasts 8 water tables along the 10.5km lap course.

This event will not only give you one of the most scenic events in Africa, but also one of your fastest ½ Iron-man distance times.

So get yourself entered and lets have some fun! Entries are open !

www.midlandsultra.com

post-16181-0-31270600-1320675355.jpg

Edited by B-Active Sports

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early Bird entries are now OPEN

Pre enter before the 12th of December and you could win race accomodation for 2 people at the beautiful Woodridge Hotel & Spa.

www.midlandsultra.com

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...8 water tables per loop (effectively 16 for the race). You guys have taken last years problems seriuosly. Well done as your venue is realy great. How many water tables on the bike route ? Is the bike route the same?

Yes, last years heat could repeat itself and we aren't taking any chances. So there will be a water table approximatly every 1.25km on the run route.

The bike route at this stage is the exact same, with 1 water table on each lap as per last year. Having 1 water table per 22.5km's should be suitable as this bike route is not too challenging. We are however hoping to push for complete road closures which might change the bike route slightly, but nothing confirmed as yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Breaking News:

FINIS , Xterra Wetsuits and GU Energy Lab Partner up with the Midlands Ultra Triathlon Series.

B-Active Sports are excited to announce that International swimming brand FINIS has partnered up with the prestigious Midlands Ultra Triathlon Series. FINIS will be offering all Midlands Ultra athletes discounted swimming gear. There will be an Online order form on the Midlands Ultra Website soon.

Xterra Wetsuits has Partnered up as the Offical "Swim Section" partner for the 2012 Series. Xterra will be offering all Midlands Ultra Athletes a 15%n discount on all Wetsuits. Look out on the Midlands Ultra website soon for details.

GU Energy Lab has signed up as the Official Nutrition Partner for the 2012 Tri-Series. Rebecca from GU Energy Labs said they are proud to be the official nutrition partner to the Midlands Ultra Tri-Series , an event that allows GU Energy to showcase their support for athletes’ endurance and nutrition needs in training and on race day.

Look out shortly on the Midlands Ultra Triathlon Series website: www.midlandsultra.com for all the latest info and updates.

Early Bird Entries are open and athletes recieved a 10% discount on the 2012 Entry prices if competitors enter before the 12th of December... only 25day left. Competitors entering before the 12th of Dec also stand a chance to win FREE race accomodation at Woodridge Hotel and Spa for 2 people or a THULE Bike carrier worth R1600.00.

So enter now and get your name on the start list.

www.midlandsultra.com

• 2 weeks later...

Partial Road closure given for 2012 Midlands Ultra Triathlon

After a meeting with the KZN Department of Transport, Howick and RTI Police have given the 2012 Midlands Ultra partial road closure, which will see the removing of excess traffic and heavy trucks from the race route. Full road closure was discussed at the meeting, however with the R103 being a major road and running parallel with a "High Accident" area of the N3, full road closure cannot be given. With that area of the Midlands Meander being a popular destination especially on Sunday’s, road closure is not a viable option.

Race organisers B-Active Sports were disappointed that full road closure was not given, however the Police have assured them that the partial road closure will push any excess traffic off the route. Only light vehicles accessing the various B&B's, Hotels, businesses and restaurants will be allowed onto the route, between 7am and 12:30pm.

"We are disappointed that full road closure was not give" said Race Director Damian Bradley, "But this is an improvement from 2011 and we hope that it will improve the athletes safety so that they can focus on the race and beautiful midlands scenery"

• 3 weeks later...

Midlands ULTRA Accommodation WINNER:

Congratulations to Robyn Leslie who is the lucky winner of the Woodridge Hotel and Spa Accommodation prize, worth R3500.00. Robyn and her partner will be staying at the beautiful Woodridge Hotel and Spa for 2 nights courtesy of Woodridge Hotel and the Midlands Ultra Triathlon.

From all of us B-Active Sports, we hope you have a Merry Christmas and a festive New Year!

B Active Sports

If you are serious about safety and serious about promoting the sport amongst beginners and serious about promoting this specific race, then you have to think seriously, objectively and outside-the-box about the whole wetsuit issue.

See my previous posting “Wetsuit illegal – to drown or not to drown” https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/110804-wetsuit-illegal-%e2%80%93-to-drown-or-not-to-drown/

The negative responses you see in that thread are not representative of the TRI fraternity – a well known fact that applies to all similar forums on the internet.

Your Midmar race was wetsuit illegal in 2010. I did not enter for the 2011 race - because of the uncertainty. So I missed out on a wetsuit legal 2011 race. I shall not enter for the 2012 race either – because of the uncertainty. No! - it is not just me to think like this – do your research in a statistically significant way be surprised how Average Joe views the swim leg of a TRI. My January 2012 East London race is paid for upfront, complete with air tickets and guesthouse and car rental. Why? They go with 24.5C which is practically guaranteed.

Us mediocre swimmers are not asking that the rules be changed so that we can cheat. We are merely asking to be allowed buoyancy devices such as wetsuits – and accepting a penalty/handicap according. Check this out please http://www.triaids.com/SwimSafe.htm For peace of mind. Once deployed, obviously disqualified.

As a minimum alternative we would like upfront commitments by race organizers for wetsuit or no wetsuit rule before closing date of entries.

ps. Now expect some rude, ill-informed comments on this posting - from the hottest of the main manne what count – non-representative of the TRI fraternity! :thumbdown:

See below link for US ironman races

www.trijuice.com/2010/04/ironman_announces_us_rule_changes_for_2011_season.htm

"Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F."

Seems like Ironman SA is applying the same rules. With Ironman and Triathlon SA friends again you would have thought having consistent rules in SA would make sense.

Personally I wouldn't want to wear a wetsuit in 24 degree temperatures. Also I am not convinced that non wetsuit swims for longer distance events scare that many people of, but I guess a consistent rule would be great.

HI Guys

I don't want our Midlands ULTRA post to take a turn away from its main objective as there is already alot being said on other posts about the wetsuit / temp issues.

But regarding the wetsuit stance and our event:

We comply with all TSA rules as our event is fully sanctioned. This does mean that we need to conform to their water temp regulations. However in saying this, i agree that there is arguement here and i agree that in looking to grow numbers this is an option.

We will approach TSA about this issue. We can't promise anything but we will discuss it.

If you guys want to get this issue reviewed and take it further,We suggest you take it up with TSA as our hands are actualy tied. By LAW we have to have our events sanctioned by the controling body and if we don't want it will be shut down by SAPS. There is not much we as event organisers can do and you the athletes need to take this to TSA.

Happy Training and Merry Christmas

The B-Active Sports Team

Firstly, I need to point out I am not a good swimmer.

But, I know I need to be able to swim 1.9km / 38km with and without a wetsuit, so I practice.

My suggestion to all those that want to change the rules, is to HTFU and practice. Sport is not supposed to be easy, the next thing is those that can't run will want to use roller blades for the run.

Use it, don't use it.

Firstly, I need to point out I am not a good swimmer.

But, I know I need to be able to swim 1.9km / 38km with and without a wetsuit, so I practice.

My suggestion to all those that want to change the rules, is to HTFU and practice. Sport is not supposed to be easy, the next thing is those that can't run will want to use roller blades for the run.

Use it, don't use it.

And what will it change for YOU if they do allow wetsuits? Will it take anything away from "YOUR" race or in any other way from you as a person?

I want to swim in my wetsuit as I am considering doing this race as training for IM PE. In IM PE we will be allowed to swim with wetsuits.

So I am with Henly. no guarantee, no entry for me - as simple as that....

And as I have done plenty of 70.3's + IM's, I have nothing to prove or lose if I dont do certain races.