Time Trial Bike

Garfield2010

2 Questions

How much of a difference does it make on a 180km time trial in terms of average speed and or minutes?

Say I normally go 28km/hour. What will a Time Trial bike do?

Also, Is it possible to rent a time trial bike from a shop somewhere? I only need it for one race (and the 2 weeks beforehand)

Thx!

Not sure you can rent a bike for a day and don't think it's a good idea - rather be comfortable on a road bike you've used all along than one you've had for a short time.

I bought clip-ons but didn't enjoy them - either get a proper TT bike soon or use your road bike.

Not sure you can rent a bike for a day and don't think it's a good idea - rather be comfortable on a road bike you've used all along than one you've had for a short time.

I bought clip-ons but didn't enjoy them - either get a proper TT bike soon or use your road bike.

From discussion with some of the elites at my club, it should give you around 2km/h (considering riding around 30km/h).

However, I think "getting" the 2km/h will come at a greater expense this short before an event. 1. You are in a more aggressive set-up so different muscles will be used 2. You have to crane your neck quite a bit and this take time to get used to 3. Less control

Clip-on can work, but then a reverse seat post is recommended otherwise you are stretched out like superman over your bike.

My suggestion: Go with what you trained with up to now.

2 Questions

How much of a difference does it make on a 180km time trial in terms of average speed and or minutes?

Say I normally go 28km/hour. What will a Time Trial bike do?

Also, Is it possible to rent a time trial bike from a shop somewhere? I only need it for one race (and the 2 weeks beforehand)

Thx!

Just enjoy the Cape Town race,it's to late now to make any changes.

To see any big improvement on a TT bike you need to Avg at least 40km/h.At 30km/h avg you may save about 4 minutes if your setup is right.

Ok cool. I do have a TT setup on my road bike (bars + TT seatpost and seat) so I convert it every now and then so I am used to the position etc.

Thought a "faster frame" would make a difference but at 2km/hour I will just go as is.

Thanks

Hi Garfield

If this is for Challenge CT, don't swap now. Challenge is 2000m odd of climbing. You probably going to be out the bars quite a bit anyway.

One of the biggest adaptations to make when switching over is the building of the neck muscles. Depending on road quality, the little corrugations in the road put huge strain on the back of your neck. Which takes a month or two to get used to.

As said above, you do use your leg muscles differently which also needs to be trained.

Once you have made the change, the difference is significant, not only to your cycle but also to your run.