Carbon vs Alu bars

Zula

I'm considering getting a new bar for my road bike and wanted to know if anyone who has used both alu and carbon on a road bike, can feel a significant difference in terms of vibration absorption etc.

The primary reason though is that my current bars which are the classic shape don't feel to comfy when in the drops, so I'm looking for something that I can spend more comfortable time in the drops like an ergo/curve bar.

Yeah, you get ergo shaped alu bars. For us funriders, you'll see no benefit to using carbon.

Look for compact bars. The drop is lower, the reach is shorter and the bend is more comfortable on the hands. All the big names make them but I liked the FSA ones.

Compact

http://www.probikesupply.com/product_images/k/032/Compact_bars__15647__95898_zoom.jpg

Ergo

http://www.comparecyclegear.com/img2/600/components/handlebars-components/easton-ea70-aero-ergo-road-bar-10.jpg

Traditional

http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/products/components/handlebars/road/1276248910254-18dzxpn3bqmjt_600.jpg

Edited by AndreZA

Thanks AndreZA

I think its between the ergo and the compact design. Some manufacturers like ritchey call it the curve.

Like I said I'm looking for the most comfortable bar in the drops.

Best bet is to find a shop and play with a few I guess.

Thanks AndreZA

I think its between the ergo and the compact design. Some manufacturers like ritchey call it the curve.

Like I said I'm looking for the most comfortable bar in the drops.

Best bet is to find a shop and play with a few I guess.

Me - I'm a big fan of the PRO PLTs - good value and not bad weight at 260g.

Don't waste your time with carbon - I haven't found a difference in ride comfort and the weight saving is hardly worth it...plus there is the old alu bends and carbon breaks saying :o

Guys on a shoe-string-budget will tell you carbon is crap, although they very well know that it is the material of choice when it comes to top-end cycling components. A carbon bar will definitely be better to absorb road vibrations,but will be a waste of money if you ride an alu frame.

This is lying in the cupboard waiting for the new frame......tick tock....

Compact is the way to go.

Flat or round is a personal chois.

I LOVE the flat jobbies.....Had FSA before this and they were the beesknees!

Also have a look at BBB who makes a very affordable and COMFORTABLE carbon bar.

post-25-0-49289200-1318246482.jpg

Guys on a shoe-string-budget will tell you carbon is crap, although they very well know that it is the material of choice when it comes to top-end cycling components. A carbon bar will definitely be better to absorb road vibrations,but will be a waste of money if you ride an alu frame.

Of course it is - stronger too - that is why Paris Roubaix was won on an alu bar and stem this year...

Don't believe the carbon hype - it is great in applications like frames and (perhaps) forks but offers few benefits in terms of seat posts, stems and bars.

Even the richest of cyclists will not be able tell the difference between the two. There is no way that any human will feel the difference in vibrations on such a short piece of tubing. If looks are important, then go carbon, if not save a wack of cash and go aluminium.

Would this bar be classified as a compact?

Ritchey call it a curve bar

Tough to say from the pic but it looks compact.

"Compact" refers to how long the bar is - "compact" means you'll stretch less to get to the drop. It has nothing to do with the shape of the bar.

"Anatomic" refers to the shape of the drop - "classic" is a curved drop - "anatomic" means the bars straightens out in the drop so more of the hand is in contact with the drop.

Hope that makes sense.

Zula, yes that is compact. Like the others have said, you will not feel the difference. Cheap bars, below R1000 will be heavier then alu and will ten-to-one be carbon wrapped around an alu bar.

FSA compact alu bars are the business. also doesnt make you wanna cry as much when you crash them. look at something like the wing compact.

Thanks chaps

Appreciate the feedback

One last thing, which bar design is the easiest to use the controls (brkaes, gears) when in the drops?

Edited by Zula

Zula, my advice to you...buy what you can afford, cause the terms affordable, cheap, expensive, waste of money, etc are only words and have diffrent meanings to the different walks of life. A R3k handle bar might sound ludacrous to some people, but for others it is an necessity to complete his awesome ride. What ever makes you and your wallet happy!

Zula, my advice to you...buy what you can afford, cause the terms affordable, cheap, expensive, waste of money, etc are only words and have diffrent meanings to the different walks of life. A R3k handle bar might sound ludacrous to some people, but for others it is an necessity to complete his awesome ride. What ever makes you and your wallet happy!

:offtopic: The OP is refering to comfort not cost.