Worst customer experience i've ever had

lerouc

I just want to share my story that happened recently to me with you guys.

A cycling shop recently moved to a new “mega” store in Durbanville and seeing that I’ve always in the past have had the best experience from their online channel I decided I will drive through from Somerset West for their opening to support them. Got there and I was helped by friendly staff whom told me they are running a 20% discount on their opening day. I ended up buying a new helmet and saddle bag, which I didn’t need but because they had the 20% discount it was a bargain.

I was almost at home when my girlfriend spotted on the receipt of the credit card transaction that the discount wasn’t subtracted. I phoned them immediately but their number just rang with no answer. Tried again but same result! I decided im not going to drive back as I don’t know what time they are closing. I then decided to contact them on twitter as they don’t answer their phones and the following conversation started on twitter:

<Me> you say 20% discount and i got home and checked my slip and 0% discount! wtf?

<them>the slips dont display the discount

<me>im talking about the card slip on the machine or does the abnk "know" about your discount? Do i look retarted?

<them>if it was our mistake, my sencere apology! I would be more than happy to refund u ur credit!! Really sori 4 this

<me>i will email you the details monday morning WITH screen shots of everything before you say im dishonest!

I got a bit P-off but if I get promised a discount I expect to get it without double checking them.

So then on the Monday I email them the full details and I got the following reply:

We'll sort it out for u tomorrow! U only need to mail us or give us a call, and we'll always help out! People make mistakes!

> Don't think it was nessesary to act like u did on twitter!

Ja maybe I did overreact a little on twitter but I did try and phone them but no answer and yeah maybe it was a mistake (but if my girlfriend didn’t check the slip would I ever have known? And how many mistakes were made on opening day?)

So I went on twitter tagged them in my tweet and apologized to them for making them out as something they apparently aren’t according to them!

And now my hassles start.

After sending all the details on the 26th of September I didn’t hear anything back from them and on the 4th of October I email the guy again asking whats going on and he says yes I have a credit with the amount. The amount is only calculated for the helmet and not the saddle bag so after having to explain to the guy how a 20% discount works and literally showing how to add and calculate 20% on the full amount he said yes I can have the right amount credit. Now we are on the 5th of October and he advices me to refund the amount he has to have my credit card there or he can give me credit on a purchase.

So I ask him does he really expect me to drive all the way back there and spend more than half of the money they owe me on petrol to get the amount refunded or I have to take a discount on my next order and then they just make more money out of me and he just replies back yes those are my choices. I then ask how long do I have too order something (as I don’t need anything at the moment) and he says I have to the end of October otherwise I lose out.

I then tell him I think this is really bad customer service from their part and he replies “Cobus hoe ander wil jy hê moet ons dit doen!” I just told him I’ll let him know what I want before the end of the month.

So to just get done with them I emailed the guys on Friday asking him to send me a bottle of lube and with delivery it will work out 40c less than the amount they owe me and he can keep that.

Emailed him again yesterday asking what’s going on and still no word.

This is really the worst customer experience I’ve ever had with anyone. (Including CellC and Telkom :D )

Where are the days when your customer was your biggest asset and you would do anything to keep them happy! Or is this the new age business owner whom just don’t care about the individual?

I purposely didn’t mention any names…

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I purposely didn’t mention any names…

And as before with these threads, if you don't put the name in, why bother with the post?

And as before with these threads, if you don't put the name in, why bother with the post?

want ek wil weet of ander mense voel ek is verkeerd met wat ek dink sonder om iemand anders sleg te se!

Who else opened a megastore in Durbanville recently?

Even a dof old goat like me worked that out...

What the proverbial is a "megastore"? And more importantly, I have no clue. Whenever I hear Durbanville, all I can think of, is why the hell isn't it somewhere closer to Durban.

and more importantly than hijacking the thread, does this guy have a case to be angry or not \?

dankie...

If that is the worst customer experience you've ever had, you're quite lucky! :P

Sure, the move for CWC did not go as smooth as anyone would have liked, but I think they still coped not too badly all things considered.

Obviously you have not dealt with South AFrican Airways yet.

Have been trying confirm the luggage limit from them and all you get is the normal "Eish" and hold on..... dingle dangle . and the transfer you to somebody else.

I phonet my Tout at the airport and he confirmed the limit very quickly. That is why I always tip him handsomly when he coerces our baggage through customs.

and more importantly than hijacking the thread, does this guy have a case to be angry or not \?

I'm not hijacking. I really want to know. I keep a list of all these places, so I know not to go there. But hey, an anonymous rant is probably better than going home and kicking the cat.

<Me> you say 20% discount and i got home and checked my slip and 0% discount! wtf?

<me>im talking about the card slip on the machine or does the abnk "know" about your discount? Do i look retarted?

<them>if it was our mistake, my sencere apology! I would be more than happy to refund u ur credit!! Really sori 4 this

<me>i will email you the details monday morning WITH screen shots of everything before you say im dishonest!

Sorry boet but if someone opened dialogue with me the way you did above I would tell you to piss off whether I am in the wrong or not.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have acted like a complete **** on Twitter. A friendly phone-call to them would have gone far better for you, and I reckon you would have had a far better experience so far. Yes, you tried to call them. No, you probably wouldn't have gone through to them as it was, no doubt, one of their busiest ever days and considering the stress they were under with having to manually enter everything, and look up their prices manually. Having said that, you could have called them on Monday, and still retained some element of self-respect.

In addition, why didn't you check your receipt, or the amount that you were being charged, upon swiping your card? I know for a fact that all the transactions were recorded manually that day, as their IT system crashed the morning of the sale and they were waiting for their IT guys to sort it out.

So yes, people make mistakes. They made a mistake on my invoice too, but I pointed out to the person at the till that the prices on the items hadn't included the discount, and all was hunky dory from there. She apologised, I said no worries - as long as I got the discount.

If you had talked to them civilly, as opposed to first mouthing off on a public forum such as twitter, then I think you have a right to complain. Considering your plan of attack here, I have no sympathy for you. The customer is only right up to a point, after all...

On another note - have you bothered to pick up the phone and CALL them yet? Or have you just left it to e-mail and hoped for the best?

Edited by cptmayhem

If they didn't deliver on their promises, then I believe you have a case to be miffed... especially since it seems (there are two sides to every story thou) like they are not very accomodating in solving this problem for you (even if your approach can be deemed as a leaning towards the aggressive side). IMO it's not about the amount of money - it's a principle thing.

my 2c :)

Edited by MariusL

Sorry boet but if someone opened dialogue with me the way you did above I would tell you to piss off whether I am in the wrong or not.

Nope.

Now will someone tell me the name of the shop?