Cape-epic 2012 mechanic

JGdp

Does anyone know of a solid bike-mechanic that i can contact for next year's epic?? the race offers a team package for R8000 extra, a bit too much after all the other expenses!! any info?? pm me with numbers etc. thanks

Contact paceline cycles in lakeside, cape town. My brother works there and they do a workshop / back up service for a few major stage races including the epic.

Contact paceline cycles in lakeside, cape town. My brother works there and they do a workshop / back up service for a few major stage races including the epic.

will do, thanks man...

You can also try the guys from Recycles in Bellville. I used them in the 2010 Epic and had great service.

Does anyone know of a solid bike-mechanic that i can contact for next year's epic?? the race offers a team package for R8000 extra, a bit too much after all the other expenses!! any info?? pm me with numbers etc. thanks

Phone BMC Capetown. Speak to Jared.

any idea on the prices? or what you paid if you dont mind telling?? thanks

Can't remember exact figures, but it was below 3 grand per person.

any idea on the prices? or what you paid if you dont mind telling?? thanks

I used JP at the Epic this year. R3000 for the package (includes a pre and post race service), but I wasn't happy.

I had used him at Pioneer last year and had no major mechanicals for him to fix (1 cable)

He is a nice guy and makes an effort, but I think he takes on too many package customers already and then takes on "walk in" customers during the race as well. I contend that the quality of his team's work suffers.

Case in point was my partner who had major stuff with his bike which cost us a lot of time. Had JP attended to the work properly (ie less clients, better attention to detail) we would not have had to come back again and again. My partner stood at the start with me at Saronsberg and had to rush back to JP as the gun went to fix a job JP was supposed to have done overnight. That cost us 30 minutes.

In fairness I will say that he did not bill us for the the parts. But then again, he replaced my 2011 XTR brake pads using pads he bought from the Shimano tent, even though he knew I had 2 spare sets with me, just in case.

If all the mechanics are accepting "walk-in" customers during the race (which I as a priority, prepaid client don't particularly like to see), then I suggest you save yourself some money and do the same. Next year JP will charge R3300-3500 for the package and if your bike is in good nick before the Epic, you will have very little work required.

Edited by kandui

I used JP at the Epic this year. R3000 for the package (includes a pre and post race service), but I wasn't happy.

I had used him at Pioneer last year and had no major mechanicals for him to fix (1 cable)

He is a nice guy and makes an effort, but I think he takes on too many package customers already and then takes on "walk in" customers during the race as well. I contend that the quality of his team's work suffers.

Case in point was my partner who had major stuff with his bike which cost us a lot of time. Had JP attended to the work properly (ie less clients, better attention to detail) we would not have had to come back again and again. My partner stood at the start with me at Saronsberg and had to rush back to JP as the gun went to fix a job JP was supposed to have done overnight. That cost us 30 minutes.

In fairness I will say that he did not bill us for the the parts. But then again, he replaced my 2011 XTR brake pads using pads he bought from the Shimano tent, even though he knew I had 2 spare sets with me, just in case.

If all the mechanics are accepting "walk-in" customers during the race (which I as a priority, prepaid client don't particularly like to see), then I suggest you save yourself some money and do the same. Next year JP will charge R3300-3500 for the package and if your bike is in good nick before the Epic, you will have very little work required.

Thanks for the reply, gave me a whole new idea hey...if you get a major problem at EVERY stage, you can probably get one of the mechanics to help then for R300 or so?? but then again, what if they are full..haha

Why bother with the expense? Just take a spare chain and lube. If you go into the epic with newish kit you will be fine. If a shock goes there are agents there anyway.

Save the money and hassle. You don't need it.

There are plenty of little places in the camp that does repairs. As all the guys say above go in with your bike in good order and you will fine you will probably get through it with no issues!!

You get a bit nervous before one of these big stage races that your bike will not handle it mechanically. I made sure my bike was in good nick before the event (and I still took the Mech package), but I hardly had use for it. At Pioneer last year, like I said, I need to replace one gear cable (dirt inside) and at the Epic this year i only had a noisy free-wheel hub , because there was some dirt could somewhere. Nothing else, no punctures or broken chains.

What I can recommend highly, if you don't have it already. Get Gore cables. They are fully enclosed and keep the dust out. Brilliant investment for R800 odd.

There will always be someone who can fix your bike at the Epic. JP, Olympic, Cyclelab and others. Speak to them before the event to see what their deal is. Don't waste your money on the Mech package, I won't do it again.

By the way. At the Transalp the service is free, you just pay for your parts.

8000,- for the package? Does that include spares? If not its anoth high fee charged by the epic organizers! :thumbdown:

8000,- for the package? Does that include spares? If not its anoth high fee charged by the epic organizers! :thumbdown:

Nope, as far as i know, thats for your bike and your parnter, no parts included....

R8000 is flipping crazy money. Unless you have a major accident (most likely you are out of the race anyway), you will have no need for a mechanic package. I bought for peace of mind,that's all. If your bike is well looked after , you won't have a problem. Take a chain,spokes,spare tyre,Stans,magic links,duct tape,cable ties, tubes and you're pretty much sorted. That all fits into your tog bag.JP used to send a guy back to his shop in Belleville to pick up spares,so there is plenty available.

Just remember that the Epic refunds nada, so anything you purchase via their site is money gone forever.

Book a Massage, that's far more important.

Edited by kandui

Give me your list of expenses up to date. I would love to compare to mine this year.