Garmin workouts from connect site

rouxtjie

Anyone here used the new workouts functionality on their Edge 500's...not the builtin ones, I am talking about the ones you manually create on the connect site and then download to your device. I want to transfer all my interval sessions this way

Anyone?

PS will one of the mods please move this to the training section...I made an oops :blush:

Edited by rouxtjie

Anyone here used the new workouts functionality on their Edge 500's...not the builtin ones, I am talking about the ones you manually create on the connect site and then download to your device. I want to transfer all my interval sessions this way

Anyone?

PS will one of the mods please move this to the training section...I made an oops :blush:

I haven't done it using Connect, but I've been using the workouts function via other software for a long time. It's one of the best reasons to own a Garmin.

Ta, I uploaded a interval workout

Let's say

1.warmup 10 min at HR X

2.interval A1 at HR Y

3.rest at HR Z

4.interval A2 at HR Y

5.rest at HR Z

6.interval A3 at HR Y

7.rest at HR Z

8.cooldown

When I start this workout in my "workouts section" does it immediately start with the warmup and then go onto the first interval or do I have to reach the target heartrate before the clock/s starts for each step

Let's say

1.warmup 10 min at HR X

2.interval A1 at HR Y

3.rest at HR Z

4.interval A2 at HR Y

5.rest at HR Z

6.interval A3 at HR Y

7.rest at HR Z

8.cooldown

When I start this workout in my "workouts section" does it immediately start with the warmup and then go onto the first interval or do I have to reach the target heartrate before the clock/s starts for each step

thats the disadvantage of HR vs Power training. It takes upto 30 secs for your HR to get to the desired level. I would say that your interval starts when you start pedalling hard, and ends X minutes later, regardless of what your HR is. Remember, your HR takes ~30 secs to come back down after you have stopped pedalling hard

thats the disadvantage of HR vs Power training. It takes upto 30 secs for your HR to get to the desired level. I would say that your interval starts when you start pedalling hard, and ends X minutes later, regardless of what your HR is. Remember, your HR takes ~30 secs to come back down after you have stopped pedalling hard

Would love a powertap but the budget doesn't allow that right now. What I would like know is if the edge 500 start counting down the time spent when you reach the HR or does't it start regardless when using its "workouts function"

Let's say

1.warmup 10 min at HR X

2.interval A1 at HR Y

3.rest at HR Z

4.interval A2 at HR Y

5.rest at HR Z

6.interval A3 at HR Y

7.rest at HR Z

8.cooldown

I've had a quick look at GC. There are three tabs: Type, Duration and Target.

Type is just a description of the interval - it doesn't materially affect how you ride the workout.

Duration should really be called something like 'Interval Trigger'. Setting it to 'Lap button press' means the interval will end when you press the lap button. Time, distance or calories means the interval will end after the specified time distance or calorie number has been reached. Heart rate ends the lap when your HR reaches a certain value.

Target gives the zone for the workout. The Edge will beep at you whenever you fall outside the specified range, and will let you know when you get back into it.

cut cut

The Edge will beep at you whenever you fall outside the specified range, and will let you know when you get back into it.

Sweet, so it will warn me that I am out of the interval's HR range, but will it stop the counter and wait till I am back in the zone before it starts the clock again or will it carry on regardless and keep on sending beeps.

Sweet, so it will warn me that I am out of the interval's HR range, but will it stop the counter and wait till I am back in the zone before it starts the clock again or will it carry on regardless and keep on sending beeps.

It will keep going and keep on beeping at you until you get back into the zone.

The only thing that will stop the count is the Stop/Start button or reaching the end of the workout. The lap button or the chosen interval trigger will just move you on to the next interval trigger.

It's a pretty powerful workout planner since you can also do things like nesting intervals with different targets and triggers etc. To give you an idea, here's a workout I made in Sport Tracks (you should be able to do the same thing in GC):

post-2030-0-75957600-1318408101.png

Ta thanks Edman, I have the full version of Sporttracks3 and will rather use that then, didnt know about the functionality. I don't like garmin connect at all to be honest, but thought the workout could be a nice feature.

Just another reason for me to not use garmin connect :thumbup:

PS I take it I need a plugin, which one is it?

Edited by rouxtjie

Ta thanks Edman, I have the full version of Sporttracks3 and will rather use that then, didnt know about the functionality.

You need to get the Garmin Fitness plug-in. It's donation ware, but you can still use it without donating.

You need to get the Garmin Fitness plug-in. It's donation ware, but you can still use it without donating.

Sweet

Owe you a beer :thumbup: