First SS race done but .....

NotSoBigBen

So finally did my first race on a SS (56k Crater Sunday)_ - haven't laughed that much in a long time but don't want to lie it was hard 'work'!

Always the wrong gear is no exageration .... just for purposes of sketching the scenario and not wanting to brag we also did the 106k on geared bikes the day before.

On Tuesday I went for a ride on the local XC course and on the first tough little climb I could feel that my right hip was pretty eina. Not sore during normal pedalling but only under hard hard effort. Pretty much feels fine today but will see when I go ride later ...

I was just wondering if anyone else had any 'injuries' or unusual aches and pains when starting out with a SS? Maybe from the heavy cadence contrasted with the hard gear climbing?

We did do 3 or 4 60k rides in the weeks leading up to it but clearly not at that effort ....

My only comment is .........

H T F U

:D

:cursing: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OK I ditch the pink blouse get out my checked shirt and just go do it :blush:

Yup - I hit a rock section at "suspended" speed on my rigid single and bounced off into the bush and tore my radial elbow thingy damn the name escapes me...

Note to self - rigids don't go as fast over rocks as suspended bikes.

quote name='Eldron' timestamp='1318493783' post='1510874']

Yup - I hit a rock section at "suspended" speed on my rigid single and bounced off into the bush and tore my radial elbow thingy damn the name escapes me...

Note to self - rigids don't go as fast over rocks as suspended bikes.

RIGID? *shakes head* - thinks to himself 'die Eldron ou is nie lekker in die kop nie'

Guest agteros

My only comment is .........

H T F U

:D

I agree. Went for a SS ride last night, and this morning my rib cage is sore (about 2 or 3 ribs from the bottom). Will have to take two BIG soup laddles of HTFU twice a day to get thorugh this ;)

So BB, you gonna join me for the 70k race in Cullinan on Singlespeeds on the 22nd ?

H T F U - Heat The Food Up

Edited by Thug

Guest agteros

H T F U - Heat The Food Up

And here I though it means How To Feed Unicorns tongue.gif

I'll be there (cullinan) doing the 70km on my "Yellow sub-machine" haha.

on the aches and pains side at first me lower back was sore after long rides or heavy climbing but did some core work and that went away. also every now and then when i am stupid enough to ride "steep" routes eg. kingskloof, teak, breedts with my 32:16 setup my triceps and biceps get that deep burn. it so deep, i can barely raise my arm i did so many. what out for the guns they'll get ya. haha.

My knees take a hammering. But the 25 12 gear doesnt help. Get some super wide bars for leverage on the climbs. I run 780 mm boobars for the climbs and more control in the rocks.

So BB, you gonna join me for the 70k race in Cullinan on Singlespeeds on the 22nd ?

:wacko: ja sure ...... nah I'll give it a miss thanks.

We will still do our Sunday 60k rides on the SS and an occasional weekday technical spin through Rietvlei, maybe when I feel more confident I will give it another go sometime.

JcM - jeez dude maybe one day when I'm big I will step up to your level (Breeds, Kingskloof etc.) :blush:

:wacko: ja sure ...... nah I'll give it a miss thanks.

We will still do our Sunday 60k rides on the SS and an occasional weekday technical spin through Rietvlei, maybe when I feel more confident I will give it another go sometime.

JcM - jeez dude maybe one day when I'm big I will step up to your level (Breeds, Kingskloof etc.) :blush:

haha Bennie didnt say i ride it fast.

Mtb Barbie and Merida Man took me to your playground the other day for the first time. three words BE UTY FULL. cant understand why I never ventured there before. I lova da single track and the Vlei is heaven. will definetky be on my ride list along with kings.

FYI breedts kicked my ass today. couldnt even enjoy the downhill cuz the corrigations on a rigid was like those old school vibro shakes. think i still got some bits jiggling. haha.