Bent rear Xt derailleur

Chubba

Last night on boulders (Tokai), I kicked up a small cut branch that got caught in-between my rear derailleur and my spokes. I managed to pull the branch out but it had already bent the derailleur.

I have indicated in the picture what part has bent/twisted. What is the safest way of straightening this?

The chain is rattling over the jockeys and rubbing up on the metal arm.

post-12790-0-23187000-1318506637.jpg

If it's a smooth bend then by hand - slowly.

It there is a definite bent angle then hold the straight part with a pair of pliers and bend the rest back to shape by hand - slowly.

It there is a definite bent angle then hold the straight part with a pair of pliers and bend the rest back to shape by hand - slowly.

Note as Eldron says, slowly!

Note as Eldron says, slowly!

Also - check your hanger - they're designed to bend and save your frame so there is a good chance it's also "not straight".

Hi Chubba

Action Cycling in town has done some amazingly successful bending back of a steel frame detailleur hanger for me recently. Bending takes a sympathetic gentle type of mechanic and those are rare. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, give them a try.

Hi Chubba

Action Cycling in town has done some amazingly successful bending back of a steel frame detailleur hanger for me recently. Bending takes a sympathetic gentle type of mechanic and those are rare. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, give them a try.

Will look at the damage properly when I get home this eve and see what I can do. If it looks dicey I will give action cycles a call. Thanks Guys!

@ Meezo

Yes, as a wonderful gesture of frienship and brotherhood, the treefellers have cleared the Boulders path after they thinned the plantation out. World first!

Edited by DJR

is boulders open?

Yup, it was open at around 6.30 -7.00 last night.

Bits and pieces of tree everywhere (the reason for the damage), they have been chopping away.

@ Meezo

Yes, as a wonderful gesture of frienship and brotherhood, the treefellers have cleard the Boulders path after they thinned the plantation out. World first!

Don’t know about thinning, in some places they have removed everything.

I've replaced that part of mine with a cage from an old derailleur. Small allen screw that needs to be removed thaen you have a derailleur in two parts. Takes lots of patice to put it back together but it is a year later and I'm still riding it. Heino at Cycle Addiction helped me out. (Trust me, you'll need the extra hands)

Some feedback:

After close inspection i had bent the rear hanger and the rear derailleur arm. I had a spare hanger so replaced the bent one and then gently bent the derailleur straight.

Needed a bit of adjustment of the b screw, but working perfectly now.

Thanks for all the help. :thumbup: