Cannondale - Omnico -CRAZY

kingalton

Does anyone else out there have a Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 2011?

Anyone with opinions on the hangers? i have had to replace mine 5 times in 6 months and the cost is R440.00 for one?

how can it be so expensive for something that really doesnt last??

HOw much can it cost to get into the Country, how much is omnico putting as a markup??

frustrated as the bike is amazing, but it is a real weakness that is costing me an arm and a leg...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a little while back I had an 'incident' and had to replace the derailleur hanger on my Morewood Ndiza. Although Ndizas are scarce like shark poop, lucky for me they use the same hanger as a Zula.

A new one set me back R395 from a LBS. Sure this sounds steep for something that is loclly made, not imported (and when rush sports had a sale on I bought a spare for around R200)...

but remember this about derailleur hangers (especially when wondering why they bend so easy).

A derailleur hanger serves a similar function to a key in a drive shaft. The design uses a metal that will deform before the forces are able to deform the shaft (or in a bicycles case... the frame).

So if your derailleur hanger didn't bend that easily... your frame would sustain damage... costing a lot more than R440.

Bought a Santa Cruz (dragons) one from my LBS for R220 so not sure why it should cost double that from Omnico.

Can't be that difficult to get a batch cut from aluminium ....

You will pay a lot more for an engineer/artisan to do that for you.

Can't be that difficult to get a batch cut from aluminium ....

You will pay a lot more for an engineer/artisan to do that for you.

yup! especially cos it has a 'step' in it... so it's not simply like cutting cookies from dough...

these will probably have to be milled

http://derailleurhanger.com/products/DH_110_BIG.jpg

I fully understand that hanger must be weaker than the frame, but i have never had a hanger as week as this one..

I fully understand that hanger must be weaker than the frame, but i have never had a hanger as week as this one..

When you say you have to replace it - why, does it break cleanly, bend or just deform?

a little while back I had an 'incident' and had to replace the derailleur hanger on my Morewood Ndiza. Although Ndizas are scarce like shark poop, lucky for me they use the same hanger as a Zula.

A new one set me back R395 from a LBS. Sure this sounds steep for something that is loclly made, not imported (and when rush sports had a sale on I bought a spare for around R200)...

but remember this about derailleur hangers (especially when wondering why they bend so easy).

A derailleur hanger serves a similar function to a key in a drive shaft. The design uses a metal that will deform before the forces are able to deform the shaft (or in a bicycles case... the frame).

So if your derailleur hanger didn't bend that easily... your frame would sustain damage... costing a lot more than R440.

Buy direct from rush sports next time. Not that expensive.

The morewood hangers seem pretty bullet proof

yup! especially cos it has a 'step' in it... so it's not simply like cutting cookies from dough...

these will probably have to be milled

http://derailleurhanger.com/products/DH_110_BIG.jpg

Yaw exactly, went through the same issues when I wanted to replace mine. Guys on the shop floor where I worked then did it only as a favour in their off time, for the price of a couple of pizzas.

Mind you, those pizzas cost nearly the same as ordering a new hangar :blink:

Buy direct from rush sports next time. Not that expensive.

The morewood hangers seem pretty bullet proof

Luckily only had to replace one so far. Was a thursday afternoon incident and wanted to ride that weekend so here in Gauteng there was only 1 LBS that had them in stock.

My spare I bought from Rushsports though ;)

I'm kinda scared for the day if/when I have to replace a dropout/derailleur hanger on my other morewood...

These suckers aren't as freely available as the Zula/Kwela ones

post-10758-0-33629500-1318594881.jpg

Edited by patches