lower braamfontein spruit

kamikaze

a tree has fallen on the lower section of the spruit (just before the N1 bridge) and completely blocked the path (it stretches from river on the right, to the wall on the left).

instead of sourcing a chainsaw and chopping it up, i have built a nice obstacle out of this by personally carrying a tonne of rocks, and building an up-and-over.

it does require some skill to ride over this obstacle, which not only poses a nice little challenge, it also negates having to stop and get off to pick your bike over the log.

my work was interrupted by nightfall, and however you can easily ride it without bashing the chainring, it could still use a few more rocks to reduce the acute angle of the "ramp".

everybody, please feel free to improve this by adding more rocks to it!

I'll check out your handywork tomorrow maybe. I have 1500W going through my pedals so I'll probably be wheelspinning your rocks outta there

here you go. made some improvements today. it works like a dream.

on a side note, about 20 riders came past while i was there today. NONE of them (except for one skeptical dude) even tried it.

one guy asked why i didn't rather cut the tree down, to which i replied "where's the fun in that?", another group were so soft they couldnt lift their bikes over the stump, so they used the ramp to walk their bikes over, and another turned around when he saw the tree.

....um, OK....i guess the mountainbikers of today are softies.

post-8154-0-17313500-1318612055.jpg

Thanks kamikaze, that looked very fresh. I did try and ride it. However my brain was writing cheques my skills could not cash. I needed a bit more speed, so my chainring caught, and that was the end of that.

I lost my bar end somewhere around there as a result of that fall, too embarassed to start a LOST thread....

I did notice no-one tried to ride it when I was there apart from myself..

I did find someone's Black Diamond collpsing walking pole (single) in the bush nearby whilst looking for the bar end. Seeing as the world of mtb and adventure hiking probably don't meet on theHubsa, I just extended it and placed upright against a manhole, so if the owner comes by it will be visible. My little bit to assist.

Hi Kamikaze, good work young manthumbup1.gif. Saw you there, working away on Friday arvie. Made some shitty comments about you carrying the tree out of the way, I just fractured a bone in my thumb and was in a foul mood.

Can I suggest you remove this topic. Dont want you to be scape goat when riders run out of skill... Teeter-totter(?) comes to mind.

Cheers!

Hi Kamikaze, good work young manthumbup1.gif. Saw you there, working away on Friday arvie. Made some shitty comments about you carrying the tree out of the way, I just fractured a bone in my thumb and was in a foul mood.

Can I suggest you remove this topic. Dont want you to be scape goat when riders run out of skill... Teeter-totter(?) comes to mind.

Cheers!

+1

OP is liable for any injuries that may occur on this "obstacle"

Remove the post and hope you don't get sued by a skill-less rider who has broken an arm falling when trying to ride over the tree.

City Parks tried to sue a mate of mine for making jumps at the river near the scout hall

here you go. made some improvements today. it works like a dream.

on a side note, about 20 riders came past while i was there today. NONE of them (except for one skeptical dude) even tried it.

one guy asked why i didn't rather cut the tree down, to which i replied "where's the fun in that?", another group were so soft they couldnt lift their bikes over the stump, so they used the ramp to walk their bikes over, and another turned around when he saw the tree.

....um, OK....i guess the mountainbikers of today are softies.

That is why half of the spruit is tarred these days. So that they can ride it with their lycra booties. and shaven legs.

That is why half of the spruit is tarred these days. So that they can ride it with their lycra booties. and shaven legs.

:lol: