Bigger Frame vs Smaller frame.

Neg

my Fiance had an 18" Anthem and we tried to make it fit but it was just that must too big..... her merida Juliet hard tail was a 16' and that was perfect. but we went with the 18" for the dual suspension. Now we have sold the Anthem and have a shot at getting a 15" dual suspension. will this fit her? i know the 18 caused her pain as she was bending/reaching over too far but now on the 15" im worried well go the other way..... is riding a frame that is one size too small a huge issue??

please bicycle fit guru's... HELP!!! :)

smaller can be better for Mtb. However, you will have to play with stem length, saddle set back ext.

Remember the more technical the riding the shorter the stem and higher the handlebars.

Also bike makes differ is sizes lots. THe most important is the length of the top tube, and in most cases with girls, with long legs, this is too long. Also common practice is to sell girls frames that are much too big (stand over height is irrelevant). If the seat extension is not at least too fists high on a sloped road frame then it is too short. (On a mountain bike it should be even higher).

It is my opinion that the smaller frame should be okay

I went for a bike fitment today and I'm at the upper limit of a medium frame. They told me I could ride a medium or a large, but it's better to go for the smaller of the two. As you mentioned, the bigger bike was uncomfortable. A smaller one might be uncomfortable in other ways, sitting too upright and having to adjust the saddle to a very high height to make it work. You could also put on a longer stem, but that will affect the handling. Ideally you want the right size bike, but going a bit smaller is better than taking a bike that's too big. A small from one manufacturer also won't be exactly the same as one from another manufacturer.

See if you can demo the bike you want to buy :)

ben-johan- dude, i wont swap this Lass for ANYTHING!!!!! so that's out.... :)

i did a check and the bike in question is a CUBE AMS 120 woman specific. (are Cube any good?)

when i compare it to the "mens" small frame 16" (the woman specific comes in 15" and 17" only.) it has almost the same geometry except that the seat tube is 1" shorter and in fact, the top tube on the 15 is 4mm longer than the 16....

i just wanted to hear if it was ok.... im sure it will fit her. :)

Bike is far away and cant "test ride" :( buying blind......

Lots of people buy frames that are too small for them. Look through pictures here on The Hub and you'll see seatposts that are 400mm in length and extended up very high,all over the place.