Amashova Train - JB Tours

Zerin

This train down to the Amashova was advertised as comfortable, clean and relaxing. It was also advertised as a tourist class train for the cyclists riding the Amashova. We expected that the cyclists would all be together in one carriage on the train, at the very least.

As it turns out, it is a train for the masses. The cyclists are spread out all over the train, with the rest of Africa filling in every gap inbetween.

The food is rubbish. Raw chips and rubbish chicken in a polystyrene container. The toilets are filthy and the whole thing is just a massive disaster.

Had we known it was a normal Metro train, we would NEVER have booked.

The tour guide has hardly shown face, has not communicated anything and at this point in time we do not even know if the bikes are safe.

And now, just to top it all off, the train is FOUR hours late and will only be getting into Durban at around 12pm.

Is there any recourse on this? We now have to pay for flights and bike transport back to JHB on Sunday as getting back on the train is not an option.

Can the Consumer Protection Act be used here? I am furious and will be taking this further.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This train down to the Amashova was advertised as comfortable, clean and relaxing. It was also advertised as a tourist class train for the cyclists riding the Amashova. We expected that the cyclists would all be together in one carriage on the train, at the very least.

As it turns out, it is a train for the masses. The cyclists are spread out all over the train, with the rest of Africa filling in every gap inbetween.

The food is rubbish. Raw chips and rubbish chicken in a polystyrene container. The toilets are filthy and the whole thing is just a massive disaster.

Had we known it was a normal Metro train, we would NEVER have booked.

The tour guide has hardly shown face, has not communicated anything and at this point in time we do not even know if the bikes are safe.

And now, just to top it all off, the train is FOUR hours late and will only be getting into Durban at around 12pm.

Is there any recourse on this? We now have to pay for flights and bike transport back to JHB on Sunday as getting back on the train is not an option.

Can the Consumer Protection Act be used here? I am furious and will be taking this further.

I can only recommend that you take loads of photos and then talk to the advertisers about misrepresentation. Advise them that you are considering reporting this via "Hello Peter" , Facebook and other tourist websites. You may get lucky but seeing how customer service is more about fleecing the customer in this country you will probably have to go to the courts to get any resolution and then you'll have to ask yourself if it's truly worth the time, money & effort. In the end maybe you can get solace with the fact that you'll help prevent other like minded people from suffering this same experience.

Yes I agree. If it even stops 10 people from booking this horrendous "tour" it will be worth it.

I need to get the bikes back to JHB. Will they survive being clingwrapped at the airport and transported on the plane just like that? Unless anyone in DBN has two bikes boxes for me?

Everybody who used the train years ago, said it was so much fun: all the cyclists together, nic vibe, lekker food. Now you have to sleep with one eye open. :(

Perhaps ask around today, plenty Joburg cyclists there if your bike can catch a lift with someone?

Fester, that is exactly what we thought too. In fact a number of people were jealous when we said we were going on the train. Now we are jealous they chose to drive.

However, I am not there - I gave my place to my brother in law. I am safe in JHB (well, as far as safe gets i guess) and am trying to arrange their transport and bike transport back to JHB after the race tomorrow.

Train will only be arriving at about 12.30 so very little time for them to arrange much of anything.

It is a diabolical disgrace.

Thanks Rabbit, I am also phoning but not sure where we can get bike boxes stored whilst they ride. Its all such a mess.

Zerin, I have managed to get two cardboard bike boxes for you.

One has some bubble wrap & stuff inside, the other is just a box.

Where are they staying?

I'm abt 30k away but can probably make a plan to drop them off. Might only be this evening though.

I'm sure the Balmoral would be able to assist.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

That is a bit far to expect you to drive. Going to PM you now. Hoping to rent a car to fetch from you.

Zerin, things sound bad. If I can help give me a call. I am in PMB tonight but can transport your bikes anywhere tomorrow after the race. Maybe even collect the boxes. Don't hire a car, call me first and I will see if I can help. 0825032505.

Good luck!

Sepia - thank you very much for your kind offer. However I think they are sorted - i hope. Right now at this point in time, everything has been a disaster and I wont be holding my breath any longer. But it looks like Rabbit is getting the boxes to them which is a huge huge help, and someone else is taking them and bikes to the airport tomorrow after the race.

I am interested to find out if any of the other cyclists on that train are Hubbers. Apparently the toilets are literally full of urine and stink to high heaven. The food was raw, including the chicken and the rest of Africa apparently sang the whole night.

The other cyclists are also not happy (who can blame them) but i dont know if they are Hubbers. I would be interested to hear their view on here.

Thank you for the offers of help. It is nice to know when one is in need, that the cycling community pulls together and helps. I hope next time we will be the ones helping someone else :thumbup:

Shame man, sounds like you had a terrible trip. Hope you managed to get home wihtout too many more problems? It's strange to hear this, because I went on a JB train tour to the Argus in March and it wasn't bad. The whole train had only cyclists on it and the accomodation in Cape Town itself was amazing. I wasn't too impressed with the bathrooms on the train, but I am very fussy.

The guys flew back from DBN last night. And thank goodness they did, because we have had word from the people they met on the train that at 9am this morning the train was only just leaving Ladysmith. Which means today is another whole day spent on that godforsaken train which is shockingly dirty. The toilets are FULL of urine all over the toilet, floor etc and stinks. The cabin itself is also disgusting.

I feel so sorry for the cyclists stuck on that train for the rest of today. And to think i was supposed to be on it... i would have had a heart attack by now.

JB Tours also failed to organise properly. There was a fair walk to the bus to PMB, no breakfast was arranged before the race after it had been specified. The tour guide was useless and non caring. Overall a disaster and JB Tours AND the Amashova should not be promoting this train as a viable option of travel as it is beyond a joke.

It cannot even be classed as a budget tour, as even on a budget holiday the service and facilities would be better.

Was really disappointed when I phoned to try and book and found out that it was full. Glad I didn't manage to get on it, but sorry for the people who went - I also seem to recall that it was quite pricey (it worked out the same for me to fly from Lanseria - 6 km from my house - and stay with family in Durban. I also think that this should be taken up with the organisers - they marketed it on the Shova website ...

Groggery, yes, be very very glad you did not get onto the train. ;) I honestly feel for the cyclists which are currently still stuck on it. I want them to get back to JHB already to see if anyone posts! Surely one of them must be a hubber!