Price discrepancy – Cajees

Slakkepas

Price discrepancy – Cajees

I walk into Cajees yesterday while they had a power outage looking for a new 29er.

They quoted me R19 995.00 on a Scott scale 29er pro. Not a bad price. I transfer the money to their account which was cleared immediately and arranged to pick it up the next day because it was still sealed in the box.

When I got there the next day to pick up the bike, they told me the selling price was wrong. It should be R26000. I told the manager it’s not my problem and told them I`m taking my bike, I paid for it. All the sales agents went to the front door and I was told I wouldn't get out with it.

In the end they paid the money back into my account and I left.

I was just wondering what was my rights - could I have taken the bike and go?

Edited by doeffels

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno what your rights are. I went to cajees the once, the one in Boksburg, and looked at a helmet. I was told a price. Next day I went in to buy it and was told a price nearly double. I argued. They insisted. I swore a tad, and have never set foot in their store again. That was a year or more ago.

Hey, can you lay off the racist stereotype insults firstly. How is the fact that they are Indian relevant??

To the OP, if they gave you an invoice for R19,995.00 and you paid for it, the bike was yours. You had this in black and white. You should have gone to the local police station and lodged a case actually, because them refusing to let you take delivery of your paid for property is criminal. Now if you took the guy's word (since you mentioned a power outage), and paid that money without an actual printed invoice, then you are a fool.

I have edited your reply to remove the racist comments, and adjusted the member's waning status. - Weedmod

Please post a pic of Scott Scalpel 29er Pro, would love to see such a bike! No wonder there is a mix-up with the price,cause there is a mix-up with the bike

As posted before, if you had an invoice and then paid. All would be fair and good, but damn, if you pay money into someone's account without an invoice or reference number you must be stinking rich or way stupid.

What if they said what are you talking about?..... and then dragged out the refund. That would have been a serious issue. I once paid mony into the wrong account and it took a looong time to get the refund.

It's Cajees...

This pretty much lives up to my expectations of them.

A shop that rips of people, especially the ones that don't know much about prices etc.

I purchased a MTB Tandem from Cajees. I talked about it to them on the phone form Mozambique. They confirmed it was specced as in the manufacturers specifications. They confirmed it was second hand. It was smuggled to us in Mozambique under a load of small mango trees without ever seeing the bike. I got exactly what I ordered, why? Because I did some research into what I expected before I purchased. I did not wander into their store blindly and purchased something "hi-tech" without making sure what I wanted. If you get ripped off at Cajee's, or any other store for that matter, it is your own stupidness. It seems that you can even get ripped of in the most holy of bike shops in the Cape Colony!

Edited by eccentric1

Cajees business model is you haggle the price. If you walk into Cajees and pay full price, you're an idiot and get what you deserve. It's easy enough. Get an idea of the local price of whatever you want, go in to Cajees, don't even bother looking at the marked price as it's meaningless. Ask them what the best they can do is - get the price. If you have cash, ask them for another couple of percent for cash. The price will be anything from 20 to 30 or 40% off.

Not long ago I was looking for a BB for my boets bike which I had borrowed. LBS didn't have stock, but the price was R390. Went to Cajees, showed them the BB I was looking for. They had one, but the marked price was (as usual) rediculous, so I said 'what's the best price on this, LBS has them for R390'. Dude misheard me and said 'Sorry man, best I can do is R299.' He thought I said R290!

Somethings tho' are strangely expensive there - Ryder sludge is twice the price of LBS and that's the negotiated price. As for OP - seems that taking cash or paying by CC or Debit Card is the way to go.

Edited by davetapson

Hmm, I dont quite understand your post, I am assuming you went home and transferred the money later AFTER leaving the shop.??

Or did you transfer the money whilst still on their premises, say standing at their table from your lap top, or using their computer.?

If you received an invoice and paid in good faith immediately in-store, and you have proof of payment in the shop, that's as good as cash and the sale was legally binding.

However, assuming you left the premises with your hand written document, I would say theres a few things you need to check before you can say the document you had was a legally binding one on you and the supplier.

Firstly and formostly, is it an INVOICE and not a QUOTATION?

All document's must clearly state their nature (ie) INVOICE and there must be reference to the Company name and other relevant details like address, Vat Number etc as required by law.

Usually a QUOTATION is the first step, especially if the customer is paying later as you were, and the invoice follows on payment and acceptance of the goods, ensure the document you have is NOT a Quotation.

If it is an official Invoice, were there terms and conditions printed on the invoice somewhere, on the back maybe.? If yes check the T&C's. Sometimes the T&C's allow the supplier to check and change prices.

Was the invoice signed by a duly authorised employee of the business.?

Did the document state clearly the product you intended buying as well as the total price.?

I guess you did not, as its not customary, but when buying something you intend to collect later, make sure BOTH PARTIES SIGN all documents be they Quotations or invoices, that's you and the supplier, before you leave. This just makes all documentation more wiggle proof.

Either way, if it is as you say, it would leave a sour taste in my mouth, business is not only about the legal aspects, there are also overriding moral aspects to good business relations, I understand they are not keen to lose 6k, but there is a way to negotiate around issues like this and still keep a happy customer.

Anyway, even assuming you had all legal rights, legal action for recourse is expensive and seldom worth while, maybe just look at it as a lesson learnt, financially you are not in a position of loss so shake it off, move on and see what other dealers can offer.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy