mid day energy dip!

Super J

Anybody out there suffer or know howe to prevent or deal with this? On a training day, once I have got to work toward the mid day and afternoon I get a terrible energy dip,so bad that I can barely keep my eyes open, I am tiered,sleepy and very lathalgic, this is especially worse on hot days,the cooler,the less intense. I suspect a insulin/blood sugar dip or something along those lines, my bike ride home is at a snails pace but once I am home and it cools down I am back to normal..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How often are you eating? Is it the mormal 3 meals a day. You should be eating in between say both tea times if you are in a office. Eat low gi. Too much carbs spike your blood sugar and then when it drops off you get lethargic. Are you sleeping enough at night. Try planning you meals for the day instead of just grabbing just what ever is available. Maybe you are training more than recovering. Whenever I get to the till at shops theres always low gi or protein bars or little snack packs of trail mix or dried fruit in my basket. I keep them readily available during the day. Good luck

Anybody out there suffer or know howe to prevent or deal with this? On a training day, once I have got to work toward the mid day and afternoon I get a terrible energy dip,so bad that I can barely keep my eyes open, I am tiered,sleepy and very lathalgic, this is especially worse on hot days,the cooler,the less intense. I suspect a insulin/blood sugar dip or something along those lines, my bike ride home is at a snails pace but once I am home and it cools down I am back to normal..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Coffee!

O)n the face of it that sounds like an overly simplified answer but when I ride to work or train harder than usual before work I have a nasty ~1pm fade. I've tried adjusting meal times, carb-protein ratio etc and nothing helped. Eventually I bought good, strong coffee and break it out once per day at 1pm! Works for me!

Try drinking energy drinks during the day. Not redbull or that stuff but what you use on the bike. I take a berocca at 11am to keep me alive. It seems to work for me!!

One of the single biggest things I've felt is also the most obvious and simple one. Water, drink more water throughout the day.

Well, a power nap of 20 mins at lunch break should carry you over.

And, these days, a proper lunch break is a rare thing in the world of work.

Fresh air also helps.

A short walk at lunchtime.

Other than caffeine, Red Bull or coca@ne.

I've just started using 32Gi / Biogen equivalent. One of the main issues I have with energy drinks is that they feel like they spike your sugar, which spikes insulin, which means your blood sugar drops, so you have more which spikes your blood sugar which spikes yr insulin - repeat until you feel horrible and your sugar level / insulin levels are all out of whack.

The theory is that this won't happen with extremely low GI stuff as you don't get the sugar spike that starts it all off.

My experience? It feels like you are not using any energy drink - but you don't bonk. Then post-ride, I don't feel as hungry throughout the day. Before using 32GI/Biogen stuff I used to chow my way through 3 sandwiches i.e. six slices of bread. Now I maybe eat 2. Don't even make the third one any more. Also don't get the (for me) 2pm slump. Not that I feel bright all day, just don't get the ups and downs as much. I reckon it's due to stable blood sugar levels.

My 32c.

My energy dip used to be nutrition related,

now I have cereal with banana at 7.30ish

1 fruit at 8.30ish

tub of yoghurt with 3-4 strawberries at 10ish

protein shake at 11

that carries me through to lunch, 1/2 plate of food (previous evening's left overs)

15h00 another shake.

Probably get through 1.5 bottles of water during the day at work

2 coffees by 10 in the morning.

No more energy dips, no more snack cravings

I found the protein shake to be the biggest singler improvement in my diet.

Won't be the same for all.

My energy dip used to be nutrition related,

now I have cereal with banana at 7.30ish

1 fruit at 8.30ish

tub of yoghurt with 3-4 strawberries at 10ish

protein shake at 11

that carries me through to lunch, 1/2 plate of food (previous evening's left overs)

15h00 another shake.

Probably get through 1.5 bottles of water during the day at work

2 coffees by 10 in the morning.

No more energy dips, no more snack cravings

I found the protein shake to be the biggest singler improvement in my diet.

Won't be the same for all.

Jeepers, where do you find time to do anything else in the day with all that eating? :D