Bike rack for a Toyota Prado

C180

Yo Hubbers

I have asked a number of people this question and am yet to get any answer and so I am appealing to anyone who can help me with this...

I am looking to buy a bike rack that I can use on a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado but also on an old Merc. I would like to buy one that the bikes are put straight onto without having to dismantle anything and that support the bikes from the bottom. i.e. the pressure is only on the tyres and not the top tube or anything else as some carriers are designed. I was looking at the Thule Euro Classic/Ride on/Euroride version or the Buzz rack Buzzrunner/Buzzquattro. Ideally I would like it to be a 4 bike carrier but will settle for 3 if that is the best and strongest that is availble.

Now here is the catch, I am looking for a rack that when the whole Prado is loaded (including the bikes) I can still access the boot without having to take all the bikes off first. The only thought I have had is a rack that opens with the door of the Prado on some kind of swing mechanism. The standard tilt mechanism that the Buzz Rack and Thule have will not work as the Prado boot opens like a standard door (i.e. horzontillay) and not from the floor to the sky as with most vehicles. As such, when those racks are tilted, the door can only be opened enough to get an arm in. I was told that I should look at the carriers that hang from the spare wheel at the back as that will then open with the door but I am not keen on that as then the bikes will be carried with the pressure on the top tubes and not on the tyres as would be first prize.

I figured that any rack that works on the Prado will work on the old Merc but I am well aware of the definition of assumption...

A long explanation but I was hoping that sopmeone has a solution as with all the Rav 4's and Prado's on the road I am sure that someone has come accross this problem before and hopefully solved it???

I have encountered the same problem with my hilux in that you cannot access the back without removing the carrier as the tailgate gets in the way. I have been toying with a swing arm which I recently tested it on a 5 day multi stage event with major 4x4 routes included. The final version is being produced and should be available in the next couple of weeks. This is the fourth version and each one is a major improvement on the previous one. Trial and error . You will be able to attach either the thule or hanger type of carrier to the final product. No idea of costing at this point in time but shouldnt be overly expensive. I have some photos of the current unit in action if u are interested. Pm me for more info.

I have a Thule G2/3 ? not sure, but takes 3 bikes on my Prado tow bar, and then I have the Thule 4 bike carrier for the roof when I travel, allows me to take my motorbike trailer with. I have a 5 bike caddy on my other trailer.

The roof carrier is by far the easist to load, very simple and good on the bikes.

I'm agreeing with AlsDad on this one and as I work for Thule, am able to say that the roof mounted system although possibly a little higher priced would work best, if in a case you would want 4 bikes on the roof there is an option of a lengthened bar (thule proffensional) which would allow plenty space. The Pro-ride carrier is soft on frames and allows for tyre support only.

Hi All

I use the 4 bike Buzz Rack (Viking) with a Holdfast spacer on our cruiser. This provides engough clearance between the rack and the door mounted spare wheel. This while the rack's tilt mechanism allows for the door to be opened with the bikes loaded. This of all the options I investigated, still allows me to use the vehicle off-road, without minimising departure angles etc.

A further bonus of this set up, is that the rack makes use of standard sized bolts and nuts, but most already have safety wire preinstalled so there is little chance of losing them in the first place.

Lastly, once folded up the rack also takes up little packing space.

The only con I have come across is that the rack is well built and thus solid and must weigh close on 15kg, so not that easy to manhandle when installing or removing. Especially when you are absolutely spent after a race?