Eratic heart rate readings

Hello,

I have been using my Garmin edge 500 for over a year now and it is great. The problem is that i am using the plastic HR strap and my heart rate readings during a ride change by at least 30 beats.

When the strap is sitting nice just under my man boobs i get a low reading, if i move it 5mm lower then i have a higher reading which does seem closer to the real HR. I have been using gel to help but still it depends were the strap sits?

I never had this problem with my polar? and i know going to the preinum strap might help? but want to make sure before spending 800 bucks

Any suggestions?

Get the new strap and reset it with your Garmin. Don't use gel it is a waste of money. Use spit or water. I used to use gel and now I just spit on it and it works better. Otherwise try changing the battery on the HRM. If all else fails take it to the agents and get them to change it out for you. I know it was a common problem on the Edge 305s, as I went through 6 of them before they upgraded me to a 705 and the problem is no longer!! Go figure.

I had the same problem.

My solution was to:

Move it down a bit - across the solar plexus.

Loosen the strap a bit - too tight seems to promote the higher HR (about ~30 beats higher).

Spit - a quick lick before you start helps.

Try all 3!

Hello,

I have been using my Garmin edge 500 for over a year now and it is great. The problem is that i am using the plastic HR strap and my heart rate readings during a ride change by at least 30 beats.

When the strap is sitting nice just under my man boobs i get a low reading, if i move it 5mm lower then i have a higher reading which does seem closer to the real HR. I have been using gel to help but still it depends were the strap sits?

I never had this problem with my polar? and i know going to the preinum strap might help? but want to make sure before spending 800 bucks

Any suggestions?

Stop looking at the chicks, problem solved :thumbup:

Get the new strap and reset it with your Garmin. Don't use gel it is a waste of money. Use spit or water. I used to use gel and now I just spit on it and it works better. Otherwise try changing the battery on the HRM. If all else fails take it to the agents and get them to change it out for you. I know it was a common problem on the Edge 305s, as I went through 6 of them before they upgraded me to a 705 and the problem is no longer!! Go figure.

:thumbup: Water is the best. Gel is a load of ....

I found that mine would go up if i was near an electric power line or even the home security fences sent it up a few beats.