Chain woes

KnobbyMech

I have a new 10sp mtb chain, new crank with double mtb chainrings and a new 10sp cassette.

The chain "skips" on the chainring when applying high torque when in the big chainring (39 teeth), especially when I am in the 3 or 4 smallest rings of the cassette. It sometimes "skips" off the chainring.

It's a horrible sound and feeling when suddenly there is nothing to support your weight. Almost lost a test ticket and I fear I might be damaging my drivetrain too.

Any suggestions or reasons why this happens?

PS: All was ok with my tripple cranset.

Re the front derailer: It is clear of the chain, but perhaps I should try to set it closer to it as to prevent the chain from coming off. Just worried about the possible chain-rubbing-against-the-derailer sound.

Re the chainrings: Good question; it is the Aerozine double crankset. According to the suppliers, it is for both 9 and 10 speed as the only difference between 9 and 10 speed is the chain width. It shifts perfectly though. Think this may be the issue?

Cable tension in the shifter...

Not sure I understand. It does not cause problems while shifting, only when standing and giving it stick.

chain length?

Thanks, although static chain length is fine (some tension when running small-small and more than enough play when running big-big), you made me think of other thing: It's a dual suspension and while standing, there may be some pedal-bob that may effect chain tension, length and angle.

I had on my Epic some years ago that if the piece of outer that went under the BB(wasn't full outer) was too short it would 'ghost shift' when the suspension 'worked' ....

Not sure I understand. It does not cause problems while shifting, only when standing and giving it stick.

My bad - read the post wrong...

Skipping off the chainring has to be the limit screws on the FD.

All the stuff is new AND compatible right?

Edited by Eldron

My bad - read the post wrong...

Skipping off the chainring has to be the limit screws on the FD.

All the stuff is new AND compatible right?

Will play with the limit screws and see how it goes. Yes, complete drive train is new except for the controls (shifters) which is still 3 speed front derailer shifters. I use the old centre shift for the new low ring and the old high shift for the new high ring.

You have a woes chain. When you attack, it attacks back - every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This is the nature of the Universe.

You have a woes chain. When you attack, it attacks back - every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This is the nature of the Universe.

Bit of a chain reaction I think