8 week DC training program

Hearts*

Hi Guys,

I'm a regular browzer to the hub, but not always a regular poster. I have not found the exact answer I'm looking for...

Below is an overview of the program:

Week1. Mon(Rest day), Tue(Base with 3x15 tempo)1:15, Wed base 1:00, Thu(15min tempo/5 min threshold) 1:15, Fri (15min tempo/5 min threshold) 1:15, Sat (15min tempo/5 min threshold) 1:15, Sunday Long ride 3:00

Other weeks more or less the same, week 3 maximum effort week and week 4 recovery week and then again week 7 max effort week, also I'm doing the 94.7...

I am not following the program to the letter...I commute daily 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening that I use for intervals...also Saturday is my long ride and Sunday recovery/rest day...

Will I burn myself or should this program give me the desired DC results? Social team aiming for 9 hours...

You should be fine.

Try do one long ride on the weekend every weekend. 150km's + but work your way up there if you aren't accustomed to long distances.

Otherwise you should be good. 9 hours for a DC won't be too difficult if your fit.

Good Luck.

:thumbup:

Thanks Scott 1. Now I just need to stick to this program for it to work...

Yes we are not comfortable with the longer rides yet, still building to the +150km rides...this weekend we are aiming for +140km

140 is a fair distance. If you up it 175km or round there and you can do that with ease (you know what I mean) then your going to be fine.

Our weekend group base rides started about 2 months ago...the 8 week program with more specific training last week, but the specific training is not for everyone as some guys go to the gym during the week...the group is split as well 8 in CPT with the balance in JHB...

The post is basically to cover myself not to be the weak link. What are your thoughts Rydogg?

Hearts, I highly recommend contacting maryke on the hub and get her to design a program specially for you.

With her program I have gone from being an absolutely terrible climber and sprinter to someone who not can keep up on the hills but also outclimb just about everyone in my group. I've also been able to drop my seeding from O to J.

These generic programs are ok, but why not make the best of your time and get really strong with her help :)

It's never too late to start, but I have found that I need at least 8 weeks of training before I feel any sort of peak in my performance. Then 1 week rest and then I'm good to go for a race.

Thanks Saudiq I will give Maryke a shout...

Yes I missed one week of the training program since I started 2 weeks ago, but have been putting in extra hours per day.

Hi

Commuting is great...I do it too. It only helps with keeping your base and fitness. You should have two 1:30-2:00 hard rides. Tuesday and Thursday, ride Sat and Sun with one day 140+.