Good lenght for steering bar MTB-CX

tunariaan

i resently got a new bar and i decided to keep it a bit long for the first few weeks

Now it bothers me a bit, it measures 68cm end to end without the bar ends ,i am quite tall 193cm and also have long arms

Is this a good lenght?

it feels fine on jeeptrack but i am always worried that it might hook on trees or bushes when i ride narrow single track here in the forest

if i have to cut it, how much would you take of?

thanks

I have just changed to a wider bar with no bar ends after many many years of 600mm bars and bar ends .... Had a few rides but I am not yet convinced it's any better.

in fact I seem to 'over correct with the wider bar' but perhaps thats just cause I'm old and decrepit ....

Should be the same width as your shoulders is how I understand it...?

On road bike I always understood this to be true but if you see the okes at the MTB World Cup XC they use them super wide bars :unsure:

780 might work on jeep track and the open road, i will hook into trees all the time when i ride up here in the forest, jimmy hartail whats your lenght?

Should be the same width as your shoulders is how I understand it...?

That will never be possible on a MTB. There will not be enough space to pit everything. The widest road bars is 44cm. The shortest MTB that I've see was 56cm and the there was almost no space between the two brake levers. It's very easy to see if you like shorter bars. Mover everything in without cutting the bars.

I have 685mm bar on my zula which feels great. But I ride a lot of single track, for which the longer bar is perfect in giving you more control. But I guess you could fit a 660mm as well if you ride more dirt roads (...heaven forbid...)