Amashova flop

Ringking

Apparently they were their to massage the well toned tushies of you a - cl / pro riders after your 3 hour ride and screw the first timers who needed them at the end. big let down. I'll not buy their stuff on principle now, take that voltarin elitists.

This is what I find quite ironic about the whole thing.

As a sub-3hr, A bunch rider I've never really felt the need for a massage after a race. Normally, once I've finished, I might hang around to chat for a bit and then just head straight home. My girlfriend who took 6hrs and really did need a massage at the end couldn't have one because they were packing up.

They should set up their massage tent an hour or two later and leave it open longer.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stopped expecting much from goodie bags these days, so not getting one is not a major disappointment for me.I was, however, disappointed in the complete absence of any food at the water points when I got to them (and which was promised in the race brochure).

Aha....but then you have not had one of our goodie bags....containing...

Long sleeve event specific MTB Shirt

Long sleeve event specific T Shirt

Hot water bottle (its in winter)

Subaru Beanie

Techni Block Sun Cream

Full box of Bokomo rusks

Muffin Mate Muffins and cakes

Subaru Water Bottle

Choccies and sweeties

I think thats all :lol:

agreed, in fact my race suffered as i had planned on consuming the food on route and only took a couple of gels and a bar for in between or emergencies. (lesson learned) At the stop manned by the school kids, the children manning the station were drinking the isontonic drinks and eating the sandwiches. I don't begrudge them the food but it was their for the riders that day

+ when i got to the finish at 6:30 odd hours of riding and misery, cramping up for the last 10km's, the voltarin tent seemed like the closest thing to heaven, only to be told they were closing at 2. Apparently they were their to massage the well toned tushies of you a - cl / pro riders after your 3 hour ride and screw the first timers who needed them at the end. big let down. I'll not buy their stuff on principle now, take that voltarin elitists.

Can skip the goodie bag as well, the folks were helpful and organized a swap for my brother to ride in my wife's spot without any hassle

the flag bearers were a little distracted through out the ride but kept the traffic out and marshaling was good from what I saw of it

I lost 45 minutes right out of Pietermaritzburg waiting for a repair on a sliced tire. The wait was a bit long but the cut was just bad luck.

will i be back? pain, horrible train tour and nightmares of botha's hill prevent any such decision right now

I feel for you and also proud. Well done for finishing the race after a nightmare weekend.

You were one of the lucky ones that had help with the sliced tyre. I had 2 punctures and then snapped spokes = DNF and very disappointed(as mentioned in previous post). I can not compare my disappointment (Lions get run over by sharks and then not finishing the race) with yours but suggest that your do the Amashova again next year just to change the experience you had from a negitive to a posetive.

PS - rather fly or drive down and if possible make a long weekend (With the family)

Well done to the local bike shops assisting with spares and parts. They worked hard on sunday with all the problems all over. and wel done to the boks . . .I mean sharks.

Edited by Prozac

i dont know - i kind of agree with the op. That said I am not familiar with road events so i dont know the cost involved in full road closure etc. I do also understand that MTN pulled out at the last minute (bastards!) and that will always have an impact.

But..... us knobbley tired people are accustomed to getting a nice shirt or at the very least a cap. If you were to make a comparison between hill2hill and the shova - both 100 odd k's. h2h is R250 entry compared to R320. With that we got 5 tables fully stocked with grub and ice cold everything. at the entry we got expo plus eateries plus beer garden. In the goodie bag we got the standard deo, soap, water,sweets,nutrilife, plus we got a nice jeep t-shirt.

so - obviously a main sponsor makes a big deal - but in that comparison h2h offers Way more bang for buck

i dont know - i kind of agree with the op. That said I am not familiar with road events so i dont know the cost involved in full road closure etc. I do also understand that MTN pulled out at the last minute (bastards!) and that will always have an impact.

From my past experience with organising races, just getting Metro Police assistance is very expensive (every Metro cop you see costs around R3000 or more). To that you need to add the additional cost for full road closure..

Aha....but then you have not had one of our goodie bags....containing...

The nice thing about my attitude is that when you go and do a race like the Kremetart or Panorama Tour, the goodie bags go from excellent to truly awesome.

I live on the route and done plenty of these before, so no transport issues or numbers collection issues. However I didn't ride this year mainly because of cost of entry. Kids were keen to do the short version so if we all entered would have been a whack. So we watched front ous breeze by and then had a braai. Good day out. Got to pick and choose these days

and no tshirts ? could one not order one on entry ? cannot find my receipt to prove otherwise :(

The nice thing about my attitude is that when you go and do a race like the Kremetart or Panorama Tour, the goodie bags go from excellent to truly awesome.

I think you must come and play with your SS on our ride next year and enjoy French Toast and Coffee at the first WS on day 2

post-523-0-59521300-1319012371.jpg

I think you must come and play with your SS on our ride next year and enjoy French Toast and Coffee at the first WS on day 2

Now that's proper.

but suggest that your do the Amashova again next year just to change the experience you had from a - to a +.

PS - rather fly or drive down and if possible make a long weekend (With the family)

+ A metric **** ton.

Stop winging and train harder, simple as that. We dont expect any goody bags just a well organised race which is waht we got. Well done Amashova organisers

Now that's proper.

In 2009 we gained about 50 places as WP1 on day 1 had brandy (which we don't drink) but we lost this time at WP2 on day2. They were braaing strips of Botswana rump steak. :drool:

+ A metric **** ton.

lets clarify what i mean . . .

Go back next year to change experience from a negative to a positive

:thumbup:

In 2009 we gained about 50 places as WP1 on day 1 had brandy (which we don't drink) but we lost this time at WP2 on day2. They were braaing strips of Botswana rump steak. :drool:

Your absence was noted :angry: