Holla trails

L.T.G

I'm planning a couple days away from work at the end of Nov, a couple days I'd like to spend on my bike... i want to do nothing but ride.

I'm pretty keen on Holla trails after reading the write up in the new Tread.

I just wanted some input and advice from those of you who've been and ride there regularly.

is it worth the trip down?

Edited by L.T.G

I live 1.5km from the trail head.

Short answer: yes :thumbup:

Long answer: you've got a selection of routes (green, red, yellow, pink, blue, black, etc.) that vary in length and difficulty. Black is the longest at 85km. Tight mountain singletrack mixed with jeep track through the sugar cane hills. No really long long climbs like in the w.cape, but certainly lots of short hard climbs. If you're into DH, don't bother. These trails are made for fast undulating riding.

The best route in terms of singletrack and variety is Maroon. The longest (and just as good, but in a different way) is Black. Yellow route (45km) is right up there.

Once you get to know each route, you stop slavishly following each route from start to finish and instead start to link the best parts of each.

I've been riding Holla for nearly 3 years and I'm still not tired of the place. mtb nirvana.

The bike wash is worth it too. R50 gets you a sparkling bike (including drivetrain).

I live 1.5km from the trail head.

Short answer: yes :thumbup:

Long answer: you've got a selection of routes (green, red, yellow, pink, blue, black, etc.) that vary in length and difficulty. Black is the longest at 85km. Tight mountain singletrack mixed with jeep track through the sugar cane hills. No really long long climbs like in the w.cape, but certainly lots of short hard climbs. If you're into DH, don't bother. These trails are made for fast undulating riding.

The best route in terms of singletrack and variety is Maroon. The longest (and just as good, but in a different way) is Black. Yellow route (45km) is right up there.

Once you get to know each route, you stop slavishly following each route from start to finish and instead start to link the best parts of each.

I've been riding Holla for nearly 3 years and I'm still not tired of the place. mtb nirvana.

The bike wash is worth it too. R50 gets you a sparkling bike (including drivetrain).

Thanks Tombeej,

have you done any riding up here in Gauteng?

If so, anything you could compare it to?

I spend 90% of my time in saddle at Van Gaalens, and that's pretty much what i'm looking for... somewhere you can get decent distances in with awesome flowing singletrack(and lots of it)

Maroon is a beautiful ride. There is a section of singletrack downhill over trees and roots and stuff which is unreal.

Take lots of water though, it gets hot in amongst the sugarcane.

You might want to take a drive up to Hillcrest for a ride in Giba Gorge. Ask one of the locals and I'm sure they will take you on an awesome ride. Lung busting climbs followed by surreal downhills and flowing singletrack.

Holla=MTB heaven, showers, pub, food for after the ride, been a Holla member since day one. Yellow with the extra 4 Kay loop is the best of the lot. Maroon has some of the sweetest single track outside Hilton, and compares with best available, look out for the python on the purple route, my collar bone on the blue and two of my ribs on the red.

thanks guys.I'm going to go down for about 5 days or so and I'll split the time between Giba and Holla...

appreciate the feedback and advice.thumbup1.gif

It is a fantastic place to ride , we have a spot in Ballito and i DO NOT GO WITH OUT MY BIKE !!!

You will love its , its like doing your own stage race each day , Yellow rocks and so do all the others , what i have started doing is my own routes start on one and finish on other just to get the best of everything in each day .

I normally ride with Ty White but he is in Muai at the moment .but try find a local they are great guys and willing to show you around .Do the Time trial on the Orange route its on a Thurday evening ( i think ) and loads of fun . Sunday they guys normally do a long ride ( there is a white notice board at registration , go put your name down and then people add on in the week to make a group )

Go have fun .

It is a fantastic place to ride , we have a spot in Ballito and i DO NOT GO WITH OUT MY BIKE !!!

You will love its , its like doing your own stage race each day , Yellow rocks and so do all the others , what i have started doing is my own routes start on one and finish on other just to get the best of everything in each day .

I normally ride with Ty White but he is in Muai at the moment .but try find a local they are great guys and willing to show you around .Do the Time trial on the Orange route its on a Thurday evening ( i think ) and loads of fun . Sunday they guys normally do a long ride ( there is a white notice board at registration , go put your name down and then people add on in the week to make a group )

Go have fun .

Thanks Iron,

I'm so excited by the feedback :clap: I want to go NOW!!!:D

Holla is fantastic. I would however recommend Mankele above Holla. Stay there and roll out of bed onto the trail. I havent done all the trails at both but would rate Mankele above Holla.

Saying that, you won't be disappointed at Holla.

Holla is fantastic. I would however recommend Mankele above Holla. Stay there and roll out of bed onto the trail. I havent done all the trails at both but would rate Mankele above Holla.

Saying that, you won't be disappointed at Holla.

thanks Dirtbreath,

done Mankele before and it is AMAZING!clap.gif the ride down from the tower back to the camp is just awesome!

want somewhere at the coast though

Dude... on the black trail there is a section about 60km out... where there is single-track down through the bush/forest... immaculate trail - KZN has great soil - not the rocks we are used to up here! Super Awsum!

Dude... on the black trail there is a section about 60km out... where there is single-track down through the bush/forest... immaculate trail - KZN has great soil - not the rocks we are used to up here! Super Awsum!

Isn't that on the purple route? One drops in from atop the hill after a LONG climb up and around the canefield? A couple of sharp hairpins and a log or 2 to jump over too. Over a wooden bridge at the bottom and another steep climb up