2X10 gearing on mtb

kevink

i see the new trend on most MTB's are the 2X10 group sets or gear ratios.. for all the hubbers out there that have this please share your opinion on it i would love to see the feedback because from what I've researched the seem to be really good but mostly for marathons... is this true?

Some say that sometimes on tricky places the big chain-ring on the front is too big and the small one is too small so they struggle to find the right gear!

Do you also suffer from this?

post-25126-0-62646200-1318955914.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well IMO it makes you go faster (depending on the ratio)

I haven't had issues with the wrong gearing, it just takes quick thinking and fingers, thats why i'm keen for the gripshifts (sram 10speed) that way you can shift more gears in a faster manner.

Edited by Zac.A

oh ok! i was going to ask about those gripshifts.. i suppose if you have the legs and thats there wont be an issue with the 2X10! i quite like it myself :thumbup:

3X10 on the one bike and 2x10 on the other. Much of a muchness for me....except for the weight.

2 x 10 and still never in the right gear...

All jokes aside, I have been on a 2x10 for over 2years now, all much of a muchness...

Personal choice.

2x10 you have MUCH less redundant / duplicated gears.

Just do it (the 2x10 I mean :))

All jokes aside, I have been on a 2x10 for over 2years now, all much of a muchness...

Personal choice.

+1

3X10 on the one bike and 2x10 on the other. Much of a muchness for me....except for the weight.

if only i had the money...

Personal choice.

ja! i also feel the 3X10 "repeats" some gears and i would like to try something different!

does it not feel like it cross-chains alot? when the chain bends too much and touches he front derailer or when you are on the big at the back and at the front..

If the bike comes with 2x10 then great but "upgrading" from 3x10 seems a bit silly to me. There are far better ways to reduce weight without limiting your gear choice...

Weight?!?! A small chainring and 4 bolts. That must be really heavy. I have the 3X10 and I wouldn't change it for the world. As is always the case personal choice.

Well IMO it makes you go faster (depending on the ratio)I haven't had issues with the wrong gearing, it just takes quick thinking and fingers, thats why i'm keen for the gripshifts (sram 10speed) that way you can shift more gears in a faster manner.

Zac - this is a silly statement. Whats makes you go faster are these:

Being fitter.

Being fitter.

Being fitter.

Being fitter.

There is no ratio available on a 2x10 that is not available (within a few %) on a 3x10.

Potentially the weight saving could make you faster (on uphills) and slower on downhills but I'm thinking 40g on a 80,000g bike and rider won't make a noticable difference.

There is no magic in a 2x10 - ratios are ratios - it doesn't matter whether you have 2 or 3 or 15 front chainrings.

I've said it a billion times - there are no short cuts - if you want to go faster train better (not necessarily more).

It is my opinion that 2 x 10 gives you more gears than a 3 x 10 cause you can ride cross chain and utilise all 20 gears, unlike the 30 speed set-up. Going 2 x 10 for me just made sense, cause I have never used a granny gear.

It is my opinion that 2 x 10 gives you more gears than a 3 x 10 cause you can ride cross chain and utilise all 20 gears, unlike the 30 speed set-up. Going 2 x 10 for me just made sense, cause I have never used a granny gear.

What? Your 20 gears gives you more gears than my 30 gears? Did you fail maths at school :lol:

Seriously though - I don't use the two extremes so maybe it's 28 gears versus 20. I still win. Plus - as in road bikes you're not supposed to use the two extremes either so it's 28 versus 18...

If you've never used your granny you should consider riding your mtb off road! Try a national XC race - if you don't use your 3x10 granny on that then either your Burry Stander or you like pedalling at 20rpm. You ride a 29er right? That only exaserbates the lack of low "granny gear" ratios.

I have yet to hear a valid reason for 2x10.

SRAM say:

A full range of usable gears - okay 18 is close enough to usable but 18 is still a lot less than 28...

Less weight - can't argue with that but really...40g? 80g?

Smoother shifting - really? The 3x10 has an 11 tooth gap to drop/climb on the FD - the 2x10 has either a 13 or 14 tooth gap to drop/climb on the FD - how exactly does a bigger gap make shifting smoother?

SRAM XO comes in a 2x10 with either 26-39 or 28-42 combo. The 3x10 has 22-33-44 meaning the 2x10 has a smaller range of gears (low is not as low and high is not as high) than the 3x10.

Ultimately it's horses for courses and if you ride your bike on terrain that doesn't vary too much then 2x10 will be fine. If you ride varied terrain that includes steep climbs and descents then 2x10 will always leave you wanting "that extra gear".

What? Your 20 gears gives you more gears than my 30 gears? Did you fail maths at school :lol:

Seriously though - I don't use the two extremes so maybe it's 28 gears versus 20. I still win. Plus - as in road bikes you're not supposed to use the two extremes either so it's 28 versus 18...

If you've never used your granny you should consider riding your mtb off road! Try a national XC race - if you don't use your 3x10 granny on that then either your Burry Stander or you like pedalling at 20rpm. You ride a 29er right? That only exaserbates the lack of low "granny gear" ratios.

Dude, what part of 'my opinion' do you not understand? Did you fail grammar at school?

When I used my 3 chain ring set-up, I could not use all the gears, and never ever had reason to use the granny, and I do ride off road fyi. But with my 2 x 10 drive train, I can (not that I do), use all 20 gears without any problems. Does that make sense?

Back to the granny gear, no I am not Burry, although I ride the same bike as him, and unfortunately I don't do national XC races, but if I was stuck with an alu bike, I in all probability would have had enough reason to apply a tiny chain ring.