2X10 gearing on mtb

kevink

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the 'don't do it just for the sake of doing it' thinking as you will gain nothing and probably lose some as Eldron has clearly shown.

Having said that I did just cause I could :thumbup: - from 3*9 to 2*10 on my 29r

1) X9 double crank with 26/39

2) SLX cluster 11-36

With the 11-36 I got pretty close but still not the same 1st gear I had with my 3*9 and the 'hardest' gear is clearly 'easier' than it was ....

On an XC course like Rietvlei the 'easy' gear for something like Wendell's revenge is pretty important for me at least.

The only 'negative' for me is that it is way too easy to get to the 'granny' gear as I ride all of Rietvlei in the small chainring and use easier gears than I use to. I used to ride mostly middle chainring on my 3*9 and use the Granny granny combo on 1 or 2 short sections (I wear a pink blouse so don't bother!)

But as my mate always says when asked why he bought a Ducati 1098 'BECAUSE I CAN!'

I paid for my 3 x 10 why must i pay more for less.

Ai ai ai Scotty your 'coolness' factor has now decreased significantly in my eyes :(

LoL, i like to keep things simple. Both my bikes are 3 x 10 with same cluster combo. Makes things much easier if and when i need to swop parts.

For me it took some getting used to. Now I enjoy it just as I did the 3X10 but this is lighter...

I agree tat its worth it if you're looking at a new bike. Upgrading would be pointless IMHO.

Dude, what part of 'my opinion' do you not understand? Did you fail grammar at school?

When I used my 3 chain ring set-up, I could not use all the gears, and never ever had reason to use the granny, and I do ride off road fyi. But with my 2 x 10 drive train, I can (not that I do), use all 20 gears without any problems. Does that make sense?

Back to the granny gear, no I am not Burry, although I ride the same bike as him, and unfortunately I don't do national XC races, but if I was stuck with an alu bike, I in all probability would have had enough reason to apply a tiny chain ring.

You expect any form of credibility with statements like that?

Each to their own I say - if your idea of a good time is to tootle around on fire roads on gradients your 2x10 can accomodate then so be it. Enjoy!

Back to the granny gear, no I am not Burry, although I ride the same bike as him, and unfortunately I don't do national XC races, but if I was stuck with an alu bike, I in all probability would have had enough reason to apply a tiny chain ring.

Why is it that the Specialized guys seem to have a such very high opinion of themselves and their equipment? Just because it's carbon and "Burry rides it" doesn't automatically make it superior. But I do hope the Kool-Aid is tasty and refreshing...

I've got a 2x10 on the 29 and a 3x9 on the 26r

It is much of a muchness, you'll need to preselect your gears smartly though with the 2x10.

As with a 3x10, the Granny gear, is rarely used, unless the going gets tough. So effectively, you're using 10 gears most of the time. The 2x10 runs out of gears at the top end, but on a 29r, momentum carries you.

Its what we get used to I suppose.

Edited by Daniel XTR

It is my opinion that 2 x 10 gives you more gears than a 3 x 10 cause you can ride cross chain and utilise all 20 gears, unlike the 30 speed set-up. Going 2 x 10 for me just made sense, cause I have never used a granny gear.

agreed hardly ever use my granny!

I am not Burry, although I ride the same bike as him, and unfortunately I don't do national XC races, but if I was stuck with an alu bike, I in all probability would have had enough reason to apply a tiny chain ring.

Fark steaks. Over compensating for a shortage? :unsure:

Edited by TNT1

agreed hardly ever use my granny!

People people - you gotta get out more! If you aint using your little rings you're missing out on the masochistic stuff that makes mtb great.

Sabie X, the XC course at Groekloof, Mankele, Pmb worlds course, the George round of the XC champs, Clarens - hell even Sani2c had some climbs that needed el grannyo.

Last week I rode Thaba Trails and needed my granny 3 or s times on the green route!

Get off the fire roads and into the wild...

mtb great.

Get off the fire roads and into the wild...

And stop thinking you're better than the oke next to you cause of the bike you ride. That's what really makes mtb great.

Edited by TNT1