Cadence...

So, this thing tells me that I need long cranks - 180mm.

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/mountain-bike/size-sheet?utf8=%E2%9C%93&u=in&r=man&h=1828.8&i=863.6&b=Calculate

Now, we hear that optimum cadence is fast, 100+ rpm etc.

So my question is: Surely taller people (with longer cranks, ideally?) will not turn the cranks as quickly as shorter people (with shorter cranks.)

Which makes me wonder about all the blah blah you hear / read about optimum cadences?

My brother tells me this is called 'dimensional analysis' and is a long lost art in the engineering world - figuring out which dimensions are important and which not. It appears crank length is not!! :)

Oh wait - somewhere in there it says the faster you pedal the quicker you get tired.. so there is that to take home.

Oh wait - somewhere in there it says the faster you pedal the quicker you get tired.. so there is that to take home.

Or the slower and harder you pedal the quicker your muscles get tired.The faster the easier on your legs. :lol:

Don't know but do what works for you.