building vs buying 29er

JGdp

Hi guys, Im looking for a new 29er hardtail, Budget around R30000. there are 2 options at this stage:

#1: building one

Carbon frame_handlebar+stem+seatpost for around R7000 (the ones on the hub-can anyone give some personal feedback on them??

ZTR Race Gold wheels

Full XO groupset

Rock shox reba xx shock

=R30000 more or less

And the other option is to buy a cube elite with the specs

http://www.cube.eu/en/29er/

R33000

and then there is another 3rd option-not my favourite but R27000

the scott scale pro 29er

Any feedback would be awesome...and any feedback on those frames on the hub as well, thanks guys

Edited by JGdp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't pretend to know if you will get a better bike one way or the other.

What I do know is that if you build it, it will be YOUR BIKE as apposed to A BIKE.

Don't forget to budget the cost of a bike shop building it - unless you have all the tools already including torque wrenches.

Another thing.

The wheels are probably the most important component on a 29er. Weight vs. strength is very important tradeoff depending on your weight, riding style and where you will ride. Buying a bike off the rack does not let you choose wheels which match these criteria.

Another thing.

The wheels are probably the most important component on a 29er. Weight vs. strength is very important tradeoff depending on your weight, riding style and where you will ride. Buying a bike off the rack does not let you choose wheels which match these criteria.

[/quote

Im currently 75kgs any suggestions on wheels?? im thinking about ztr crest as well...

ZTR Race Gold wheels - are these not R10k+ per set? Where can you get these at what price?

It depends on where you buy them , i have a friend who owns a shop, they stock ZTR so getting a good price on them, just think Im too heavy since the max rider weight recommended is 170lbs!! :thumbdown:

ZTR Race Gold - looking at some random website they are $1000 USD while the ZTR regulars are like $500 USD.

Like most premium versions of anything you are probably paying $1 for the gold paint, $20 for improved materials and an extra $479 for increased proft margins.

Personally, I would get a set of rims built by a professional wheel builder e.g. Johan Bornman or similar.

ZTR rims + DT swiss spokes + Hope II hubs is the default for like R3500 - but on your budget you might want some better hubs like DT swiss 240's.

Sorry to high jack.Can you give me contact detail for John

all good man-would also like his number!! thanks

ZTR Race Gold - looking at some random website they are $1000 USD while the ZTR regulars are like $500 USD.

Like most premium versions of anything you are probably paying $1 for the gold paint, $20 for improved materials and an extra $479 for increased proft margins.

Personally, I would get a set of rims built by a professional wheel builder e.g. Johan Bornman or similar.

ZTR rims + DT swiss spokes + Hope II hubs is the default for like R3500 - but on your budget you might want some better hubs like DT swiss 240's.

Any idea on what the price would be for 29er rims and dt swiss hubs??

Hi there JGdp

I have "built" up 2x 29er bikes now, one my NINER RIP9 and a MOMSEN 29AL frame built as a SS bike.

IMO the "custom built" bikes are more expensive, but you HAVE TO put the stuff on you want.

Like that it will prevent you from developing upgrade-itis in the coming months.

RE the wheels, YES, they are the most important component on a 29" bike,

BUT, and this is a big but...

Decide ahead of time, whether you will be running a Race set of wheels AND a training set of wheels.

IF, like me, you run only one set of wheels as a do it all,

be very cautious going for the super-light stuff.

Yes, you might get the ZTR race set much under RRP, but in the longer run you will cough up more... (repairs and replacing parts)

From the start, get the RIGHT set of wheels, that suits your riding style and weight, and build them onto an indestructible set of hubs. Your wheels will (could / should) be a set and forget item.

Weight schmeight...

If you are a race snake, and entering races to win them all, well, then you should get a superlight set of racing wheels.

If you enjoy riding and racing, and do it for the love of the sport and fun,

then the added 250g on wheels you can shed by going for

1. a pee before you ride

2. half the content of of one of your drinking bottles

3. a smaller hand-pump

4. just take one spare tube with you on rides, and for more weight saving, remove the sealant from the tube... :P

I hope this helps in your decision on spending your HARD earned cash...

PS, have a look at the carbon HT Momsen, a good build, with Shimano XT all the way, for around R30 000.

Oh yes, enjoy your new bike :clap:

Keep em rolling

Hi there JGdp

I have "built" up 2x 29er bikes now, one my NINER RIP9 and a MOMSEN 29AL frame built as a SS bike.

IMO the "custom built" bikes are more expensive, but you HAVE TO put the stuff on you want.

Like that it will prevent you from developing upgrade-itis in the coming months.

RE the wheels, YES, they are the most important component on a 29" bike,

BUT, and this is a big but...

Decide ahead of time, whether you will be running a Race set of wheels AND a training set of wheels.

IF, like me, you run only one set of wheels as a do it all,

be very cautious going for the super-light stuff.

Yes, you might get the ZTR race set much under RRP, but in the longer run you will cough up more... (repairs and replacing parts)

From the start, get the RIGHT set of wheels, that suits your riding style and weight, and build them onto an indestructible set of hubs. Your wheels will (could / should) be a set and forget item.

Weight schmeight...

If you are a race snake, and entering races to win them all, well, then you should get a superlight set of racing wheels.

If you enjoy riding and racing, and do it for the love of the sport and fun,

then the added 250g on wheels you can shed by going for

1. a pee before you ride

2. half the content of of one of your drinking bottles

3. a smaller hand-pump

4. just take one spare tube with you on rides, and for more weight saving, remove the sealant from the tube... :P

I hope this helps in your decision on spending your HARD earned cash...

PS, have a look at the carbon HT Momsen, a good build, with Shimano XT all the way, for around R30 000.

Oh yes, enjoy your new bike :clap:

Keep em rolling

The way i hydrate before a race..it would be easy to shed 250g with a pee :D . thanks for the reply, do you know anything about ztr crest wheels?? i only know ZTR so my own experience stops there... i do like "racing" all the time-not for the win but to beat my times and positions from time-2-time...if that helps with the wheel decision ?

The way i hydrate before a race..it would be easy to shed 250g with a pee :D . thanks for the reply, do you know anything about ztr crest wheels?? i only know ZTR so my own experience stops there... i do like "racing" all the time-not for the win but to beat my times and positions from time-2-time...if that helps with the wheel decision ?

Hi

RE ZTR, they are GREAT rims!!!

Fuss free and easy tubeless setup.

The big thing with ZTR Crest's, or any others for that matter), is to get the one that suits you (body weight wise and riding style wise).

I weigh 105kg, and the Crests are not an option for me.

So, I went with a set of ZTR Flow rims. BOMB PROOF!!!!!! on a set of Hope PRO2 hubs.

Absolutely amazing.

Remember, Crest rims at 380g and Flow rims at 525g (according to the Stan's website), it leaves you with a residual 290g exactly, as you are likely to use the same hubs and spokes...

So, you decide if (in the bigger scheme of things), that 290g will be the difference in time you will want to see...

But remember, if the Crest's aren't "really" suited for you, your maintenance and repairs will increase exponentially as time goes on AND the more the rim is "not suited" for what you need...

You will not regret the ZTR's, just have the wheel built at a reputable wheel builder...

Enjoys

+1 on what Niner_boy said.

In my opinion, the first place to cut on weight would be on the wheel set, especially on a 29er with the added inertia.

Regarding weight saving by whizzing 250 grams or saving it on the circumference of your wheelset is two very different concepts regarding efficiency.

The Momsen SL729 with full 2012 XT group set is estimated to retail at R23,000.

Also the 2012 Merida 29ers looks like more value for money than the Momsen, I was told a sub R20,000 price for a carbon bike.

I built up my 29er for precisely R21,000.

I think building a bike can be a much cheaper option if you are willing to wait for those amazing bargains and buy the components separately.

Specs of my Bike :

ZTR Crest stock wheel set( Stans 3.30 Hubs)

Niner EMD Large frame

Full 2012 XT groupset 2X10

2012 RS Reba RLT.( 1,550 grams)

Pro headset.

I fortunately had a spare seatpost, stem, handlebar and seat that i am more than happy to use.

Everything was bought new and was built up by my bike shop for free due to buying most of the components through them.

Would also like to mention if I didn't have al those extra spares I would probably have ended up just buying a complete bike.