Need some help on spokes

mbaymike

Went on a ride yesterday and at the top of the 5km hill i broke a spoke....it tore out of the nipple within the rim.  I ride with the Shimano WRH 550 wheelset.  I know they are not the best but I was wondering what the problem could be as this is the second time I have lost a spoke.  I am 1.86m tall and weight is about 85kg.  Could weight be the problem ??

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be your weight. Spoke (parden the pun) to a guy from Shimano and he said that not even the DA wheels should be ridden by riders more then 80kg.

Calling Johan Bornman ...... calling JB....... the resident spoke "expert"............... He will most likely tell you, you are stupid and find something wrong with your chain in the end!!!!!! Teee heeeee!!!!!

Buy Campagnolo wheels ........ even eTwerp can ride them so I doubt there is a weight limit!! E1A1042007-12-10 06:48:12

Helped a guy yesterday with the same problem. A Shop sold the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Raleigh to him at decent price, but no where a long the lines did they tell him that he was a bit to heavy for the bike. So he broke a couple of spokes and the rim had a dent in. That when I heard for the first time that the max weight is about 85kg<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Buy Campagnolo wheels ........ even eTwerp can ride them so I doubt there is a weight limit!!

wish I could but they are way above my financial limits.....will just have to drop another 5 kg's.....maybe that will help

You can put that down to the weight thing. Get yourself a set of easton circuits, lighter, stonger and so much better.

You can put that down to the weight thing. Get yourself a set of easton circuits' date=' lighter, stonger and so much better.

[/quote']

Had a look at the easton wheels...at the moment I need to first see if the weight thing makes a difference.....if not....then I will buy new wheels. 

Or you can go the route that us heavies (100kg+) have followed for years... Buy a set of decent 32 or 36 hole hubs (Ultegra will do nicely) and a pair of mavic Open Pro rims or something similiar. Now give those to a good wheelbuilder and bob's your uncle.

I have an old mavic rear wheel with a open pro rim laced to an old Shimano 600 hub and despite my Clydesdale size, it's been holding up for thousands of kilo's. Not very sexy, though... Wink

Hi, I rode with some 550's for training this year and found some of the spokes would come loose after a while.  Now I'm only 72kg and this was happening, pherhaps this could lead to broken spokes if with a heavier rider?

My 2c worth.

I have done some 8000 km on WHR550s and have only trued them once after I rode into a car. I am light at 65 kg but I think generally heavier riders should avoid all wheels with a low spoke count. Although they look bling wheels such as Shimano, Ksyrium SL etc should not be ridden by heavier riders. Proven wheels for heavier riders, ( www.roadbikereview.com) include:

Easton Vistas and Circuits. or even Orions

Handbuilts like Mavic Open pro on Dura Ace or Ultegra hubs - 32 spokes 

I know a guy who pulled out of the 94.7 after 50ks with Ksyrium SLs cause all the spokes came loose (100kg)

Friend of mine (95kg) started breaking spokes on 550s after 3500k and another one (100kg) cracked the rear rim on a set of Shimano 7800 - the older Dura Ace. Interestingly enough the later 7801 has a wider flange which increases the spoke offset requiring less tension for lateral stability. Also avoid hubs with very little spoke offset ( spokes nearly vertical) The American Classic hubs are particularly bad in this regard.

I like the Shimano hubs simply because they are easily serviced without special tools. 

Obviously I have omitted a lot of other good wheels that I simply dont know from personal experience. I am sure a set of handbuilts from someone like JB (Yellowsaddle) would be an investment.

Regards. 

Shimano do not have a weight restriction on any of their wheels.Please advise me what distance you have done on them and also whom last worked on them as this should not happen under normal circumstances.

rgds sm www.coolheat.co.za

And a big question is was a spoke tensionmetre used to check out your wheel when it was worked on.???

OOPSIE Steven now you have mentioned THAT dreaded word.... potty mouth..... the "tensiometer" is the word that Johan Bornman loathes!!!!!!!!!

Big H, you introduced JB's name to the thread and you took two low blows without adding ANYTHING of value to the topic. It's not like you are debating a difference of opinions - you are just trashing him. Why?