Rockshox Sid 2009 servicing

Denyed

I am currently attempting to service my Sid fork and was wondering where I can get the o rings, seals and crush washers? Do I need to buy that expensive kit or is there a cheaper place I can get the parts that I need? For example using generic o-rings etc. The crush washers (black washer and silver washer?) on the rebound adjuster side are both completely mauled for some reason.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Chain Reaction Cycles.com stocks most of the service parts.

Let me know if you come right, I have downloaded the manuals and need to so mine some time, have a 2008 World Cup model.

I am currently attempting to service my Sid fork and was wondering where I can get the o rings, seals and crush washers? Do I need to buy that expensive kit or is there a cheaper place I can get the parts that I need? For example using generic o-rings etc. The crush washers (black washer and silver washer?) on the rebound adjuster side are both completely mauled for some reason.

Chap. Rather just order from Cape Cycle Systems. (Through your LBS) 0217613528

Cost is not redic.

Or get hold of Johan Bornman

OK, will do thanks. I've only gotten so far as removing the lower legs and will proceed to service the rest this weekend. How do I tell if an o-ring or seal needs replacing? Should I just replace them all if I get the kit? It seems easy enough to do the actual service, just have no experience assessing if something is worn or needs replacing. It would be nice if you could just order the exact parts needed as it seems there are some things that need replacing a lot more than the others...

@Weight Weenie - will let you know how it works out and any troubles I have along the way!

@AndreZA Thanks, those are just the seals and don't seem to include all the other stuff. Its a much better price than the generic ones though! Will look into it.

I've done my Revolution a couple of times - seems to me that you can get away with just replacing the crush washers (with copper washers?) and probably the foam rings and top seals as these are the first line of defence against dirt.

Some things come in the kits that you will never use - the rubber dampers for example (well, this is my experience, YMMV) and seem a waste of money to pay for.

I've got the kits via my LBS. I've tried speaking to Cape Cycle Systems but fk, the dude was just a clown. Eventually had words with him after which he actually managed to be almost helpful.

But short answer - buy the kit with the seals / foam inserts and find a source of crush washers.

It's time for me to redo my forks - can anyone suggest a supplier of copper washers - 5mm or 6mm or whatever they are?

I've done my Revolution a couple of times - seems to me that you can get away with just replacing the crush washers (with copper washers?) and probably the foam rings and top seals as these are the first line of defence against dirt.

Some things come in the kits that you will never use - the rubber dampers for example (well, this is my experience, YMMV) and seem a waste of money to pay for.

I've got the kits via my LBS. I've tried speaking to Cape Cycle Systems but fk, the dude was just a clown. Eventually had words with him after which he actually managed to be almost helpful.

But short answer - buy the kit with the seals / foam inserts and find a source of crush washers.

It's time for me to redo my forks - can anyone suggest a supplier of copper washers - 5mm or 6mm or whatever they are?

Ok, these guys say they've got copper washers:

Hydraulic Components

3 Webber Road

Germiston South

Phone SA 011-255-6500

Maybe anneal the washers before using them to soften them...

From Wikipedia:

In the cases of copper, steel, silver, and brass, this process is performed by substantially heating the material (generally until glowing) for a while and allowing it to cool. Unlike ferrous metals—which must be cooled slowly to anneal—copper, silver[1] and brass can be cooled slowly in air or quickly by quenching in water. In this fashion the metal is softened and prepared for further work such as shaping, stamping, or forming.

Edited by davetapson

I've done my Revolution a couple of times GOOD FOR YOU :thumbup: - seems to me that you can get away with just replacing the crush washers (with copper washers?) :blink: (you may want to check the galvanic scale) and probably the foam rings and top seals as these are the first line of defence against dirt.

You should seldom have to replace your crush washers if you don't smash them tight. But they come in the kit

Some things come in the kits that you will never use (the kits for RS usually cover a few models of forks) - the rubber dampers for example (well, this is my experience, YMMV) and seem a waste of money to pay for.

I've got the kits via my LBS. I've tried speaking to Cape Cycle Systems but fk, the dude was just a clown.(they are a bit different, but you should realise that they do not supply customers direct, they supply dealers, mechs and bike shops only) Eventually had words with him after which he actually managed to be almost helpful.

It's time for me to redo my forks - can anyone suggest a supplier of copper washers (Again. Check your galvanic scale)- 5mm or 6mm or whatever they are?

OK, I think I'll get the kit for now. Tried to get one the other day from the LBS and they didn't know what I was talking about/didn't want to sell me one. They just said I should let them service the fork as its too difficult for me to do it myself. Guess I'll have to try some others in the area... Would those copper washers work as a replacement for the crush washers?

I reckon they would work (or re-use the originals if not too badly damaged as TD says..)

Apparently we would want to check the galvanic scale - maybe TD would explain why, and what we'd be looking for, and what would be acceptable... Otherwise, I'd just use 'em. ;)

OK, I think I'll get the kit for now. Tried to get one the other day from the LBS and they didn't know what I was talking about/didn't want to sell me one. They just said I should let them service the fork as its too difficult for me to do it myself. Guess I'll have to try some others in the area... Would those copper washers work as a replacement for the crush washers?

Dude. Going to say it one more time only, then go back to The Most Awesome Thread on The Hub.co.za.

1. Download the step by step guides from the SRAM site. Techdocs

2. Download the exploded diagram/part list from same.

3. Read it through

4. Then phone Cape Cycle Systems to establish if they have a service kit. Get a name of the person you speak to.

5. Go to a reputable bike shop. Give them the name, number and part number. Get them to phone and order.

6. Pick it up (a week <_< ) a bit later.

8. Buy/bum some fork oil off your local dirtbike workshop (correct weight!)

9. Don't rush, enjoy the experience. Don't take shortcuts.

10. If you are not willing to buy snap ring pliers, don't have a decent 24mm socket and drive, are naturally impatient then...

11. Take it to a reputable bike shop.

12. Don't use copper.

Ok - these guys got aluminium washers - http://sealtech.co.za/ but they're in Witbank :blink:

Can't call Hydraulic Components to find out if they have Ali washers as fkn Vodacom's signal has dropped out...

I see that you are in CT? These guys got ali washers it looks like...

http://www.zippotrading.co.za/fasteners.html

The other thing not mentioned is that (for the Revelation anyway) is that it is not one kit, but two or three. It's been a while since I did mine, so can't exactly remember, but the seals come in one kit - no arguments, buy that one, but it's the other one or two that you may be able to avoid buying by getting the washers seperately.

Edited by davetapson

Thanks Drongo! I'll update when I've managed to obtain said items and how I found the service process. Looks like a trip to the toolshop and bikeshop are in order!