[Event] 24 Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

Event Name: 24 Hours Of Oak Valley
When: 21 January 2012 - 22 January 2012
Where: Oak Valley, Grabouw, Western Cape
Category: MTB

DIARY LISTING: January/February 2012

Event: 24 Hours of Oak Valley – a mountain bike team relay

Date: Saturday 21 January (12h00) – Sunday 22 January 2012 (12h00)

Venue: Oak valley Estate, Elgin Valley, Grabouw, Western Cape

Format: Ride as many 10km laps as you want or can over 24hours

Trail will keep riders busy with singletrack & jeeptrack sections.

Entry details: Teams of 4 or fun teams of 5 to 8 riders. Or do it Solo!

Cost: From R200 per rider, depending on category. Camping included.

For more information: www.dirtopia.co.za

Or email theteam@dirtopia.co.za or call 021-8844752

ENDS

ISSUED BY: Dirtopia

DATE ISSUED: 19 October 2011

MORE INFORMATION OR VISUALS:

Nicolene van der Merwe

Tel: 0218844752

Email: theteam@dirtopia.co.za

Go to Event Page

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Nicolene, we are having the "Vlei 24 Hour" on the 3 and 4th December in Johannesburg....our winning four man team will take part in your four man team catagory....with the complements of The Cycle Hub. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Who of you guys are planning on doing this? Myself and More Wood (again...the guy, not the bike!) are keen and it would be pretty keen to build a kraal with some of the other hubbers to help keep us sane.

I try never to miss the 24hr ride. ... will be there again this coming year

Edited by Hairy

I try never to miss the 24hr ride. ... will be there again this year

Cool...circus ss this year or dually again?

We rode there yesterday and I was wondering what the course was like...climby, technical etc?

Cool...circus ss this year or dually again?

We rode there yesterday and I was wondering what the course was like...climby, technical etc?

Undecided actually and was pondering this on my commute in to work this morning.

Undecided actually and was pondering this on my commute in to work this morning.

What is / was the course like? Generally the riding there is fairly flat and not too technical except for that new bottom loop on the black route...32 x 18 OK?

What is / was the course like? Generally the riding there is fairly flat and not too technical except for that new bottom loop on the black route...32 x 18 OK?

I am not going to stick my neck out here for a SS gear ration spec.

Last year there was the little climb in the beginning and from there it was mostly a gradual drop in elevation with the odd bit of ups thrown in, but coming down it was fast, open and flowy with little technical riding. I do hope that this year the tech aspect will be more challenging.

Will check with the Dirtopia team and see what they have to say as there were many recommendations that the route incorporate more technical riding (Something Wiesenhof catered well for) to spice up the route a little.

H

I recall the course last year having just over 110m of climbing in 10km, We started off on the sportsfields, headed up through the orchards, past the dairy, past the dam and onto the flowing singletracks as you exit the second black loop. We then followed most of the green route back to the sportsfields.

It was damn hot last year and starting off too hard meant that I struggled during the evening stint.

Doing it solo again this year. I'd rather ride with my mates than ride relay with my mates.

I'd rather ride with my mates than ride relay with my mates.

Absolutely!

PS Thanks for the route description.

Edited by XTC1

My entry is in. Can't wait.

Will have to do a couple of monster rides over the holiday, aiming for 30laps this time.

Rode it last year, used a 32 X 17 on a 29'er with no issues, another used a 36 X 16 on a 26'er without any issues, course was very flat last year, spun out alot even with that gear but a heavier gear would have damaged you on the opening 2 little climbs. We were also racing, so if you want to chill a bit more 32 X 18 on a 29'er is fine and 32 X 15 on a 26'er should also be spot on.

..so if you want to chill a bit more 32 X 18 on a 29'er is fine...

So that would be a 20 for me then.