Importing Advice

Sandro

Thought I'd just rack your guys brains quickly seeing as you seem to do a fair amount of importing/online shopping...

I'm bringing in a bike from Italy but its from the factory and not a reseller so I need to arrange transport. I've brought in stuff before but not for a long time and I know how shipping costs can vary from company to company (I've already got some quotes and some are double others).

Can any of you suggest a shipping agent or courier who is reasonable. I know its expensive but some of these guys are talking R12k (doesn't include VAT and duties) which is just ridiculous, I can fly there and bring it back with me for that price! :thumbdown:

Anyway your advice would be appreciated. Apologies if theres a similar thread somewhere and I'm double posting...

Thought I'd just rack your guys brains quickly seeing as you seem to do a fair amount of importing/online shopping...

I'm bringing in a bike from Italy but its from the factory and not a reseller so I need to arrange transport. I've brought in stuff before but not for a long time and I know how shipping costs can vary from company to company (I've already got some quotes and some are double others).

Can any of you suggest a shipping agent or courier who is reasonable. I know its expensive but some of these guys are talking R12k (doesn't include VAT and duties) which is just ridiculous, I can fly there and bring it back with me for that price! :thumbdown:

Anyway your advice would be appreciated. Apologies if theres a similar thread somewhere and I'm double posting...

HI, i have not brought something in myself, but a friend of mine ordered a scott spark ltd last year, asked the company to separate the frame/wheels/groupset to avoid some taxes etc(he did enough research and added up all the extras) In the end they sent the whole bike, fully assembled and he got DESTROYED on import duties...just make sure(sounds like you know what ur doing so you'll be fine :D ) good luck man

Your friend had the right idea because spares carry no duties whereas a complete bike you have to pay 15% customs duty etc which in the end works out to about 30% on top of the price, so in theory he might have got away with it but only if they had split it and sent the parcels on different carriers. Unfortunately SARS have become very switched on when it comes to these tactics. I'm sure he was less than impressed with the bill, thanks for the heads up though...

Friend of mine bought a Bianchi from the factory, but then another friend who is a pilot brought it back with him as personal item, so no customs and no shipping charge.

On your last point, if there is, I'll fix it for you ;)

If you are bringing in just a frame, then ask the sender to post it via Poste Italiane. It costs about 120 Euro and once it enters our borders, UPS takes over. They are very good. You'll pay the VAT and a realease fee of about R100. I have brought in about 10 frames this way. Not sure whether PI can ship a complete bike, as its volumetric weight might exceed the permissable limit.

PM me if you require more details.