Any Vets doing the Msunduzi Road Challenge

jatho

I havent seen much hype around this event on thehub which surprises me given the fact that its a qualifying event the 2012 UCI World Cycling Tour Final (Vets World Champs basically) first 25% of each race automatically qualify.

Who's doing it and whats the general feeling around the event?

Entries close tomorrow (21/10/2011)

Event website is here: http://www.msunduziroadchallenge.co.za

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time Trial

Men & Women – All Age Groups

· 27km

Road Race

Men

126km Route

· 16 – 29 years

· 30 – 34 years

· 35 – 39 years

· 40 – 44 years

· 45 – 49 years

111km Route

· 50 – 54 years

· 55 – 59 years

· 60 – 64 years

90km Route

· 50 – 54 years

· 55 – 59 years

· 60 – 64 years

· 65 – 69 years

· 70 – 74 years

· 75 – 79 years

· 80 – 84 years

· 85 – 89 years

Women

111km Route

· 16 – 29 years

· 30 – 34 years

· 35 – 39 years

· 40 – 44 years

· 45 – 49 years

90km Route

· 50 – 54 years

· 55 – 59 years

· 60 – 64 years

· 65 – 69 years

· 70 – 74 years

· 75 – 79 years

· 80 – 84 years

· 85 – 89 years

I'm going and I know a few other sub vets who are making the trip, mostly 30-34 and 35-39.

See you there, I'll be in the 30-34 group, looked at the race profile, seems like its going to be a tough ride with a good amount of climbing, not sure how much exactly but would guess over 1000m.

I just hope it's not raining like for Shova...

I'm doing the TT and the Road Race. Should be a lot of Fun racing in our Age Cats

I just hope it's not raining like for Shova...

I'm doing the TT and the Road Race. Should be a lot of Fun racing in our Age Cats

I'd do the TT if I had a TT bike, just going to do the road race, I recon its going to be tough though, Vets racing isnt easy, some good ex elites have dropped down to our category recently, couple that with the terrain and the fact that its a UCI qualifier and its going to be mental.

See you there, I'll be in the 30-34 group, looked at the race profile, seems like its going to be a tough ride with a good amount of climbing, not sure how much exactly but would guess over 1000m.

Don't get me started on the profile.

Website says 59.1km of climbing (I hope they are handing out space suits at registration)

Organiser says 3428m of climbing

Profile looks like it adds up to 1200m or so.

I created a map my ride route and seems to be more like option 3

Edited by Tarmac's Revenge

Did you know that if you are currently 29 years old and only turning 30 in 2012 you can race vets 30-34 inorder to qualify for the main event in 2012.

I'm 39 , and have been told that I'll be racing in the 40-44 category at Msunduzi :blush:

I am in the same position

Turning 40 in Feb 2012, so does that mean I qualify for 40-44? I think I am currently entered in the 35-39 group, but maybe can update at registration...

I am in the same position

Turning 40 in Feb 2012, so does that mean I qualify for 40-44? I think I am currently entered in the 35-39 group, but maybe can update at registration...

I was told by the organiser that you race the event in the category you'll be riding in 2012. therefore I'll be seeing you in the 40-44 cat :(

Don't get me started on the profile.

Website says 59.1km of climbing (I hope they are handing out space suits at registration)

Organiser says 3428m of climbing

Profile looks like it adds up to 1200m or so.

I created a map my ride route and seems to be more like option 3

Yeah, I guestimated the climbing to be around 1000m by looking at the profile but it could be 1200m, definitely not 3428m and certainly not 59km, I think what they mean with the 59km is that 59km of the race is uphill not that you ascend 59km otherwise, yes they'd need to hand out space suites.

Did you know that if you are currently 29 years old and only turning 30 in 2012 you can race vets 30-34 inorder to qualify for the main event in 2012.

I'm 39 , and have been told that I'll be racing in the 40-44 category at Msunduzi :blush:

Yeah, I thought they might do that, I'll be in 35-39 group then.

Will be there!! :thumbup:

Have not done much vets racing this year so looking forward to it!!

Any suggestions on accommodation that is not too expensive?

I rode the TT route a couple of weeks ago on a road bike, pot holes filled very badly and surface very bumpy. Lots of turns, short and sweet climbs. Elevation 235m on total route. Not sure if tubbies on TT bike is a good idea. If you are doing TT it would be to your benefit to check it out the day before. <_<