Best bike size for TRI??

matt1900

I am looking for advice with regard to best bike fit for an Iron man distance triathlon.

I have been measured, and given a range for top tube length of 52.5cm to 55.5cm.

I am wanting to know if it is better to purchase a bike at the bigger or smaller sized end of that range that I have been given??

I know for time trialling you would usually go smaller so that you could be in a more aggressive position, but what about iron man distance? Would you want to be on a slightly larger bike for iron man so that you would be a little more comfortable over the distance?

Any input would be greatly aprreciated

Thanks MR Stig.

I see a lot of people are leaning the way of going smaller - but my concern is comfort over the long distance...as I won't be using the bike for shorter time trialling as such...

The fitting I did on the competativecyclist website has not given conventional frame size guidance as they claim this is irrelevant - they are saying to focus more on top tube length is more appropriate.

usually go for one size smaller than your road bike, its not really about agressive possition rather than the position of your arms on the tt bars...... your arms when resting on the bars are supposed to be at 90 degrees to your body so with a bigger frame you have to stretch out more to get into the time trail position, so i would rather go smaller than bigger

A lot of TT frames are sized Small, Medium and Large (Argon for example).

If you are riding a medium roadbike frame then there is nothing wrong with a medium TT frame. Both of mine are the same size and I just use a shorter stem on the TT bike.

@Thug Good point, never thought of stem length. I seem to be on the cusp of medium/large for most brands so a small frame would be way too small.

A lot of TT frames are sized Small, Medium and Large (Argon for example).

If you are riding a medium roadbike frame then there is nothing wrong with a medium TT frame. Both of mine are the same size and I just use a shorter stem on the TT bike.

+1 .. agree with Thug, also have a med for my road & TT bike (with shorter stem) :thumbup:

Tri-cycle it is then! Got a great deal on a pink one at game ;) hope it goes the distance...

Thanks for the advice everyone that replied.