Message from Mike Bradley - Director: CyclingSA-MTB

Matt

Message from Mike Bradley - Director: CyclingSA-MTB

Press release: Cycling South Africa, 20 October 2011

20 October 2011 – In July 2011, I was nominated to care-take the position of mountain biking (MTB) until such time as the next elective congress (February). After serving two full terms in this position from 2006-2009, and having heard of the reported huge losses that CyclingSA was incurring, I accepted the nomination and immediately undertook the task of getting to the bottom of supposed financial losses and to ensure that the sport continued to flourish.

I was pleased to note that the situation was not as dire as reported and in fact the overall position of CyclingSA has continued to improve over time. Over the past few years, many decisions have been taken to bring Cycling South Africa in line with King III and good corporate governance principals. This is a result of dedicated and sound management. We could therefore develop an immediate rescue plan that was set in place and the recovery is ahead of budgeted predictions. The losses were sustained on the retraction of prospective commercial partners, who decided that the current macro-economic outlook could not justify headline sponsorships.

As a result, MTB did suffer some isolated financial losses by hosting the UCI World Cup yet Cycling South Africa, through its highly regarded financial management, weathered the storm as the board realised that the social and moral benefits gained from hosting the event could not be quantified in pure economic and accounting terms. The spectacle of the UCI BMX Super Cross, UCI Mountain Bike World Cup and the Tour of South Africa have increased the viewership of cycling amongst South Africans. This has all contributed to raising cycling to the 5th largest viewed sport in SA (after Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, Motor Racing).

We are happy to announce that the financial losses have been contained and through a combined process of effective budgeting, increased realisable income streams, sponsorship opportunities and event organiser compliance has resulted in additional losses being avoided. As a result MTB and CyclingSA are in a good standing, with great excitement building for the coming year.

In terms of our Olympic outlook, we are only 8 points away from qualifying 2 male riders for the 2012 London Olympics, and 900 points from sending the maximum allowed 3 riders (which would mean that we would be ranked 6th in the World). We have some more work to do for our ladies, but we have developed a strategic plan to achieve this goal.

By March 2012, MTB in SA will be at a high point, with increased foreign professional competition at our local events. This is a result of CSA:MTB securing the rights to host the first round of the new UCI World Marathon Series (MTN Sabie – 25 February 2012), the 1st round of the UCI MTB World XC/DH Cup (18 March 2012) and the ABSA Cape Epic.

SA is firmly on the international calendar as a MTB destination because of the high standards of our events that are not just world class but world leading. Our schools and youth development programs (Spur School MTB League) are growing rapidly in popularity and next years’ season looks to double in numbers.

There is continued interest in the properties of MTB in SA, and as a result of defined financial management by the administrative offices of Cycling SA, we are set to attain our goals and further increase the status and popularity for the sport. Much of this was possible due to the continued growth of our membership and participative base, and we like to extend our thanks to all the members of CyclingSA and riders for their contribution.

This has all contributed to raising cycling to the 5th largest viewed sport in SA (after Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, Motor Racing).

That stat is cool :clap:

That's fantastic....... Can we now please get permanent MTB race numbers issued to prevent stupid number/sticker collections for all CSA sanctioned events?

Is this the same Mike Bradley, who a couple of years ago wanted to completely break away, and take MTB completely independent from the CSA?

....... and the ABSA Cape Epic.

I wonder how CSA can claim credit for the success of this event .... and that makes me wonder about the rest of the letter.