Dog leash for bicycle

Stevief

I am looking to buy a dog leash type contraption/bracket with spring to run my dogs on my MTB. I have 2 staffies that are very powerful and i cant just tie them to the bike as the first dog they see will have me and my bike dragged down the rd. Apparently i saw at the Argus expo last year someone selling a bracket for a bike with a spring on it that absorbs the dogs energy when they suddenly bolt in a direction. Does anyone know of this product or have any suggestions for me.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a hubber the other day advertising this,think he's name is Africa Spring.

Contact him :thumbup:

Hmmm. One of my friends was in hospital with concussion after his dog passed the tree on the right side while he attempted to pass the tree on the left side. The leash was tied to his bike,

Speak to Victor Mattfield about dental insurance (for starters).

If you survive this exercise with two Staffies on two leashes, it proves that Darwin's no longer got his eye on the ball.

This ain't the f*&king Iditarod you know ;)

Make a well-known phrase or saying using the words: "for", "recipe" and "disaster".

I cannot think of an appropriate situation for this arrangement, apart from a very large open field with no-one on it.

Also hope it comes with a pooper-scooper.

Link

The salesman says they're the dog's danglies, but then he's a salesman, so...

I'd say it's worth a try though, the physics of the thing make sense to me.

Link

The salesman says they're the dog's danglies, but then he's a salesman, so...

I'd say it's worth a try though, the physics of the thing make sense to me.

Yeah thanks Droo thats the one i saw. Apparently if the dog jerks sideways you dont feel a thing on the bike....apparently. To all the other smart alecs i wouldnt just tie my dogs to the bike im a bit crazy but not stupid. First bird/cat/dog/squirrel/ they see i would be dragged 50 m. I will try this as i cant run these dogs every day and im bored of the regular walks also i need to tire them out otherwise my marraige is toast. The excess energy for chewing/digging/eating etc is putting a strain on Mrs F.

Smart Alecs (inc. me) aside - I'd love to hear how you get on with this because I cant see how a person can avoid being a pain to everyone else around them and a danger to themselves with it.

All the website pictures are shot on wide (cycle) paths with no-one else nearby and no obstacles - gates, kerbs, bins, narrow gaps etc etc.

You cant use it on public roads and you couldnt use it on something like the Spruit. You could cycle in a park, a deserted car park or on the beach; I wouldnt want to see this at Kyalami.

Where were you planning to ride with your dogs?

Edited by Joe Low

Apart from the difficulty of doing the whole thing, you are going to lose style points bigtime.

Walk the dogs ride the bike.

Edited by Blokman

Hi Stevief, I take my two huskies every second to third day for a 5k run down the beach on my mtb, using a retractable 5m leash system for big dogs, holding it with my left hand and steering and breaking the bike with my right hand. Each husky is wearing a dog harness and from each harness I have a one meter rope connecting to a mountaineering clip and attached to the one end of the leash system. What is nice about this way of running them, is that they run about 5 - 6 meters in front of you and that you can regulate the speed and direction or sudden movements of the huskies, the only downside is that I replace my disc brake pads on the back more often than necessary, but the dogs just absolutely love going on a run and they pull me up to speeds of 35km/h. I wouldn't recommend tying them down to your bike, cause you have very little control. Good luck.

I've seen these used here quite often, seem to work quite well without causing any issues for other pedestrians etc....

I guess the trick is the dog needs to be trained to the extent that it does not go off on a tangent for no reason.....

Smart Alecs (inc. me) aside - I'd love to hear how you get on with this because I cant see how a person can avoid being a pain to everyone else around them and a danger to themselves with it.

All the website pictures are shot on wide (cycle) paths with no-one else nearby and no obstacles - gates, kerbs, bins, narrow gaps etc etc.

You cant use it on public roads and you couldnt use it on something like the Spruit. You could cycle in a park, a deserted car park or on the beach; I wouldnt want to see this at Kyalami.

Where were you planning to ride with your dogs?

First off i live in Cape town not Jozi so i have many areas where i can ride/run them ..eg promenade , table mtn road , table mtn off rd etc. I am still sceptical if this could work as my hounds are very strong so i will need to test it out somewhere first. But if it does work it will save me many minutes and make my the beasts very happy