Mental Block - WTF...?

Hi fellow cyclists,

Not sure how many of you have struggled with a "mental block" when it came to training and just cycling in general.

Im struggling to get my head "right" and focused on what it is i need to do to get back on my bike and start training...

Any "mind bending" tips...???

Get a riding partner or buy a new bike or toy, for example gps computer to track your rides, fitness,etc online.

Go for a few rides with no end goal. Just have a ride with no route, time limit, heart rates, whatever. Stop for a coffee and just smell the flowers. If you're on mtb take some new turns on your standard route, look for obstacles, play and just have some fun.

If riding or training is a chore, then it's not worth it. If you training for a specific event or race, get a partner, ESP one quicker than you. That helps to focus your mind. If you just training for training sakes, find a group or session that you enjoy or one that doesn't take time away from something else you enjoy. Cycling or training is not our job. Unless you a pro, and then if you haven't been training you gonna get fired :)

If riding or training is a chore, then it's not worth it. If you training for a specific event or race, get a partner, ESP one quicker than you. That helps to focus your mind. If you just training for training sakes, find a group or session that you enjoy or one that doesn't take time away from something else you enjoy. Cycling or training is not our job. Unless you a pro, and then if you haven't been training you gonna get fired :)

+1.. Do it because you enjoy it or because you have a goal.

I hate riding alone, but some days you just have to. Once I am on the bike and 10min into the ride, I start enjoying it.

It's just the effort to get kitted out and get the bike out that is the biggest mental obstacle. It is easier to just say 'F it' or 'Tomorrow I'll go ride' - just doesn't happen.

As suggested - go find a new route. I discovered / designed a new loop route that takes me 2hrs to do from home in the evenings. Did it on the bike wanting to get a 2hr ride in and actually discovered where I can get extra Km's and time in. :D

Also struggled with this after I started working, then desided to comute to work and then train home, I find myself desiding to ridie longer home even if I do not whant to just because I have to go home by bike and there is no other choice, I tell myself that I might as well to a longer route now that I am on the bike. Hope I make sense

Hi fellow cyclists,

Not sure how many of you have struggled with a "mental block" when it came to training and just cycling in general.

Im struggling to get my head "right" and focused on what it is i need to do to get back on my bike and start training...

Any "mind bending" tips...???

A good coach never tells his athlete to bend his knees in an activity when he has to bend his knees - he tells him to lower his bum! If he does that his knees will bend automatically. Set yourself a goal to work towards, with milestones that will guide your effort. Reaching your milestone will facilitate your goal achievement ...

That is what I do for a living - if you need assistance, contact me.