Oil Leaking RP23

Neg

gallery_19679_908_93862.jpg

So we just a new bike with RP23 rear shock. bought it privately so now LBS in the picture. this bike IS brand new, i unpacked it and assembled it today. ( you cant imagine the deal we got with this bike!- its a brand new never been assembled 2010 CUBE AMS 120 pro Woman specific) it has been sitting in its box since the Guy imported it. he never used it........ or lets say his wife never used it...

so here is the question! when i got round to setting the propedal... there is quite a bit of oil (thin and clear) on the setting post by the blue leaver and red rebound adjust ring... is this normal for a new bike or is there a leak because it has been standing for so long??

thanks in advance!

Edited by Neg VT

Unless there's a puddle of oil under the shock, just wipe it off and ride... if the rebound damping doesn't work or more oil leaks out then have it looked at, but it should be fine.

ok, so educate me some more here please, i have set the shock pressure to correct sag for her. now when i put the prodeal knob and either 1,2, or 3 and flip the leaver either way... the shock rebound and sag stays the same no matter what setting its on... how does propedal work then?

ok, so educate me some more here please, i have set the shock pressure to correct sag for her. now when i put the prodeal knob and either 1,2, or 3 and flip the leaver either way... the shock rebound and sag stays the same no matter what setting its on... how does propedal work then?

Propedal is just a form of compression damping and to understand how that works, you first have to understand damping in shocks. Damping is a resistive mechanism that determines the shock's speed under compression or rebound. Compression damping controls how fast the shock can be compressed and rebound damping the same, but only for rebound. The two systems don't have an effect on each other since they're completely different circuits (where hydraulic fluid flows through)inside the shock.

Damping does not determine the end position of the shock when it is loaded or unloaded. It simply determines how quickly it gets there.

Thus, no matter how you set the sag, the Propedal or rebound damping systems will not have an effect on sag.

As for the PROpedal system leaking oil. This is serious and will very quickly kill all damping in that shock, since it is damping oil leaking out. Have it seen to. Unfortunately it is an expensive (labour intensive) repair. The parts are dirt-cheap though.