Handlebar width on a 29er

mach7-7

Hi all,

would really appreciate some feedback. I have just bought a 29er and the handlebar width is 680mm. My old 26er had 620mm wide handlebars and just felt right. I realise that a bigger wheel needs more leverage and with respect to head angle playing an important part etc..

Generally speaking though, what would the absolute minimum length be to be able to steer the bike adequately?. I am tempted to shave 30mm off each side to make it 620mm but have a feeling that I will then need to buy a new bar..

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our experiences are:-

1. My SS commuter bike has 720mm bars and they feel just right

2. Our Tallboy was bought 2nd hand with a 620mm bar and it felt too narrow. We have replaced with a 680mm bar and are still fine tuning the set up so cannot comment yet.

I just went from a 600 bar to a 660 on my 29r ....... Was strange at first and I tended to 'over correct' in the twistys but as I'm getting used to it it's fine!

I use a 680mm low rise bar on my Tallboy. It feels just right. Have a look at the bars specified on OEM 29er bikes, should be a good indication.

Hi all,

would really appreciate some feedback. I have just bought a 29er and the handlebar width is 680mm. My old 26er had 620mm wide handlebars and just felt right. I realise that a bigger wheel needs more leverage and with respect to head angle playing an important part etc..

Generally speaking though, what would the absolute minimum length be to be able to steer the bike adequately?. I am tempted to shave 30mm off each side to make it 620mm but have a feeling that I will then need to buy a new bar..

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Is that 680mm bar of yours a flat bar?

If so, and you want to get ride of it let me know please!!!

I have a 710mm low rise on the Kona at the moment and would love to get another 710mm flat bar on there with maybe a slightly shorter stem ... the 710mm just feels right on the 29'er for me again. I tried a 600mm recently and it felt like I had lost alot of control .... I got scared!

H

Hey Mach,

The last thing you want to do is cut off 30mm off each side and find out that you've just made it very uncomfortable.

If you're feeling uncomfortable, and have REALLY tested the width out in a lot of different conditions and over a period of time, My recommendation would be to cut 5mm off each side, then test again. If still uncomfortable, cut another 5mm. Test again. Repeat until comfortable.

I know guys who run 520mm bars on their niners, and I know some who run much larger than that. Each to their own.

One q - have you really ridden it properly yet, over a long period of time? Last thing you want to do is cut it straight off the shelf, as you'll never know if that was the right width for you...

I think it depends as much on the size of the rider as the size of the wheels. If you are very broad chested a wider handlebar would make more sense than if you were skinnier.

Have to agree with cptmayhem above - make really sure it's too wide before lopping big chunks off the end.

If it's a flat bar surely you can just shift the grips, brakes and gears towards the middle to see how it feels before you chop the bar?

Yes, I did precisely this. Carried on moving lock-on grips, (brake lever + trigger combo) inwards slightly until it just felt right and then I shaved the necessary off.

Thanks to everyone that contributed for all the great advice. :thumbup:

I ride with 780mm boobars on my 5.5 inch travel 26er full suss so my vote is ride whatever's comfortable!

I need to upgrade my XC's bars. They're too narrow! I'm also going to go to the Boo's. Got them on my DH bike and they're AWESOME/

Yes, I did precisely this. Carried on moving lock-on grips, (brake lever + trigger combo) inwards slightly until it just felt right and then I shaved the necessary off.

Thanks to everyone that contributed for all the great advice. :thumbup:

Great! Glad to hear you got it sorted.

I'm happy with the wider bars (660mm) and no bar ends but don't like the 'sweep' of these bars or the rise .... will pop into the bike shop tomorrow. Maybe a 660 with 20mm rise and less sweep is available?

post-271-0-97218800-1319996620.jpg