Tri bars

ADe

How big a difference does tri bars make? I am considering getting a clip on system for my road bike, but I first want to make sure it is worth the money.

How big a difference does tri bars make? I am considering getting a clip on system for my road bike, but I first want to make sure it is worth the money.

They take a bit of getting used to, bit dodgy riding fast in traffic with no brakes on the bars and also tricky on crappy road surfaces (pothole = handlebar faceplant), but I think they're worth the money. Nowhere near as huge a jump as what I saw going from training wheels to Zipp 404's, but faster nonetheless.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

As far as I can tell they make you more areodynamic. Do make sure you do the steup correctly or you will lose power. What I mean by this is that it will be very likelly that you will need to drop your handlebars to its lowest on the front and also get a different seatpost which also moves your seat to the front. The secret is to keeping your hips square and open. Your elbows needs to be bent around 50% and you need to be comfy!

If you just clip on bars and go it will not be very effective.

Go to a shop like Troi sports. They ask something like R250 but at least then you know its right.

Lastly make sure you change a few months before the event cause I was told by the hubbers last time that different musclues actually work with different positions.

As far as I can tell they make you more areodynamic. Do make sure you do the steup correctly or you will lose power. What I mean by this is that it will be very likelly that you will need to drop your handlebars to its lowest on the front and also get a different seatpost which also moves your seat to the front. The secret is to keeping your hips square and open. Your elbows needs to be bent around 50% and you need to be comfy!

If you just clip on bars and go it will not be very effective.

Go to a shop like Troi sports. They ask something like R250 but at least then you know its right.

Lastly make sure you change a few months before the event cause I was told by the hubbers last time that different musclues actually work with different positions.

+1

The clip-ons have a couple of settings that can be adjusted, but it is important to get set up so that you are relaxed. As Garfield said they'll move you as far forward and down (in front) to get an aggressive position (that is comfortable). Reverse seatpost is advisable to get forward but not essential.

Small things like elbows just off the pads etc. will make a huge difference.

agree with the other guys!

you need to get setup properly..

attached is a very good article on time gains with regards to aerodynamics etc..

you can expect a 6 min gain over 40k time trial, with a good body position.( using tri bars) :thumbup: minutes for free! :clap:

12 Aerodynamics and Cycling.pdf