Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On again off again for me over the last two years...

For sure it's not easy, the extra speed on the bike is my motivation at the moment. Only really posting as inspiration to others. No other way that I know of to get 10% quicker in 7 days (legally)

Resurrecting an old thread... I stopped smoking 9 days ago with the aid of patches. I used to smoke almost a pack a day. I tried it last year using the stage 2 15mg patch but I didn't see it through. This time I am on the stage 1 25mg patch and it's working like a charm.

As a bit of inspiration after just 7 days the difference on the bike is HUGE. My previous best up Suikerbossie was 7min flat... 7 days clean I did it quite easily in 6min 36sec.

Couple of Qs. Could you elaborate on the effect of the patches? Do you just simply not crave smokes anymore? Also where do you get them, how long do they last and how much do they cost?

What I did when I stopped smoking was at the end of the day, I would put the money I would of spent on smokes in a jar. Bought my first radio control plane after 2 months.

Couple of Qs. Could you elaborate on the effect of the patches? Do you just simply not crave smokes anymore? Also where do you get them, how long do they last and how much do they cost?

Firstly patches were R274 from Clicks for 1 week supply. I just found that Dischem have a special at the moment for R185 (cheaper than my weekly smokes).

First morning I put a patch on and immediately smoked one cigarette to take the edge off. For the rest of the first day I had a funny feeling to do something but the crazy cravings weren't there. I was quite surprised, it wasn't easy but it also wasn't bad at all. I just felt a bit restless because I'm used to going out on the balcony for a smoke every so often.

Before bed I took the patch off.

Day 2 I did the same thing, I smoked one cigarette and then patched up for the day, definitely easier.

Day 3 I had a patch ready on my bedside table and as soon as I woke up I slapped on a patch.

Every day has been a bit easier. I bought a weeks supply of the stage 1 patches and then moved to the stage 2 patch on the 8th day but the cravings were still there so bought more stage 1 patches... again, much easier.

The instructions say to use Stage 1 for 8 weeks, stage 2 for 2 weeks and stage 3 for 2 weeks, I will be following that advice.

Also, I tried the vaping thing for a couple of weeks but that still messes with my lungs and sinus. I may still have a nicotine addiction but my lungs feel amazing and the triggers for smoking are hopefully slowly disappearing. Early days but I'm optimistic about giving up for the first time (have been smoking for 28 years, I'm 45 now)

I have never smoked in my life, apart from being "forced" to following my two kids celebration.

But, I have to take my hat off to you people that do sport, and want to go the extra mile to stop smoking. My son was a smoker until two years ago, when he decided one morning - that's it! At least that is what he told us. He did his first 42k marathon last month, after many 21k's, and is pushing to do Comrades. He is my super hero!

So good luck to all the forum guys and girls, all the best, and know that there are many sporting people out there supporting you in the fight to stop! :clap:

Interesting

I was never a heavy smoker.More of a social smoker.But for many many years.

When the smoking laws were implemented I stopped completely during the day because I could not be bothered to schlep off to a corner like a criminal to have a smoke.Just evenings.

That was the pattern since about 2001 until 3 weeks ago when I just thought why bother at all so completely stopped.

Have not felt any withdrawal pangs and it has not crossed my mind at all.

Just got bored with the whole thing.

I am quite lucky that I am able to go without things and not be affected by it.

I smoked pretty much a pack a day for 26 years. Read Allan Carr’s book and quit. That was nearly 12 years ago. Still get lus every now and again but have to be vigilant. It’s like alcoholism in some regards.

Quitting smoking was the catalyst that made me realise I can do anything.

I've never been a smoker (and I'm grateful for that). I do however do a lot of work understanding the long term effects, and FWIW 2 anecdotes that I use when talking about smoking-

1. It gets worse as you get older - The British Medical Association published a study a few years back which concluded that smoking and stopping before 30 showed no measurable impact on your health or mortality. Stopping before 40 cost would you a year of your life. And stopping after 40 would cost you a decade. So there's always good reason to stop.

2. It doesn't just impact your lungs (I'd even say the most significant impact often isn't on your lungs). Smoking affects the quality of your microvascular circulation, the most immediate impact of which is that is damages your ability to recover broken bones (other injuries too). So if you break your collar bone/arm/leg as an older smoker you run the real risk of having that bone not mend properly.

Best wishes and support to all those trying to stop.

I finally reach the point of giving up again. The first I stopped for 2 years and started last year December. Definitely had a huge impact on cycling and running. Previously I vaped and that helped me to get of smokes and then getting of the vape was easy. This time, I am of smokes for roughly 10 days, cycling feels better and I can easily run a 10km. Will eventually get bored of vaping and then I will hopefully be in the clear. Definitely will not smoke again! 

Having watched at least three people die from smoking -induced illnesses, that is sufficient to preclude me from ever wanting to ever again touch a cigarette… [i used to smoke a few when I was still pretty young].

I am now currently watching an elderly relative struggle with CPOD which has resulted from smoking and, as indicated above, this is going to get worse as she gets older. It's a horrible feeling when you see somebody like that panic because they cannot get enough air. I have never seen somebody clutch a nebuliser with such fear, not to mention their dependency upon the oxygen generator.

Watch out for the vaping thing – lots of articles in the New York Times now about the adverse effects. Latest studies show that people have chemical burns on their lungs from vaping.

There has to be a better way…

I tried patches years ago and the didnt work for me.

I then did the pills (Champex) stopped in 6 days from 25 plus smokes a day. and its been over 6 years I think smoke free.

I dont even think about it anymore.

My friends still smoke but it doesnt bother me in the least

Firstly patches were R274 from Clicks for 1 week supply. I just found that Dischem have a special at the moment for R185 (cheaper than my weekly smokes).

First morning I put a patch on and immediately smoked one cigarette to take the edge off. For the rest of the first day I had a funny feeling to do something but the crazy cravings weren't there. I was quite surprised, it wasn't easy but it also wasn't bad at all. I just felt a bit restless because I'm used to going out on the balcony for a smoke every so often.

Before bed I took the patch off.

Day 2 I did the same thing, I smoked one cigarette and then patched up for the day, definitely easier.

Day 3 I had a patch ready on my bedside table and as soon as I woke up I slapped on a patch.

Every day has been a bit easier. I bought a weeks supply of the stage 1 patches and then moved to the stage 2 patch on the 8th day but the cravings were still there so bought more stage 1 patches... again, much easier.

The instructions say to use Stage 1 for 8 weeks, stage 2 for 2 weeks and stage 3 for 2 weeks, I will be following that advice.

Also, I tried the vaping thing for a couple of weeks but that still messes with my lungs and sinus. I may still have a nicotine addiction but my lungs feel amazing and the triggers for smoking are hopefully slowly disappearing. Early days but I'm optimistic about giving up for the first time (have been smoking for 28 years, I'm 45 now)

I use nicorettes. I use the 4mg for two months and then the two for two. Works for me. I am just so disappointed with myself for starting again. Not even sure why I did. Anyway. On day 3 again... Well done and keep it up guys. It really is not worth it.

I tried patches years ago and the didnt work for me.

I then did the pills (Champex) stopped in 6 days from 25 plus smokes a day. and its been over 6 years I think smoke free.

I dont even think about it anymore.

My friends still smoke but it doesnt bother me in the least

Champix also worked for me. Tried it again years later then I had to stop because it was really affecting my mental wellbeing.