@#%$#@%#!! Delamination...

davetapson

Ok, so my less than one year old Maxxis Monorail delaminated itself yesterday - big blisters of rubber on the running surface of the tyre.

So. Maxxis says don't use latex based sealants. As best I know, I wasn't. (Dunno what LBS sealant is tho, and I've taken to getting them to give my tyres a shot every six months or so.)

LBS doesn't have my favourite sludge which is the yellow Ryder stuff (which as far as I know is water based, not latex/ammonia) - so, the R500 (or whatever a new Monorail costs) question is: which sealant won't dissolve my tyres and cause them to delaminate!?

Ok, so my less than one year old Maxxis Monorail delaminated itself yesterday - big blisters of rubber on the running surface of the tyre.

So. Maxxis says don't use latex based sealants. As best I know, I wasn't. (Dunno what LBS sealant is tho, and I've taken to getting them to give my tyres a shot every six months or so.)

LBS doesn't have my favourite sludge which is the yellow Ryder stuff (which as far as I know is water based, not latex/ammonia) - so, the R500 (or whatever a new Monorail costs) question is: which sealant won't dissolve my tyres and cause them to delaminate!?

Green snot (Slime)The one for tyres not tubes

Trouble is if you on a wet ride and a lot of puddles or rivers it will wash out the holes

It is not the latex that causes the delamination, but the amonia in the sealant. Sludge Products makes an amonia -free sealant, called All Terrain. This product was specifically made for tubeless rims that are prone to nipple failure due to amonia, such as Mavic. It will be the best suited sealant for Maxxis tyres, which does not need much encouragement to delaminate.

post-12004-0-51738100-1319520382.jpg

Edited by andrè traut

I have been using the yellow Ryder stuff (water based) since I have had multiple delaminated on Maxxis Larsen and Crossmark tyres with ammonia based sealants. Currently using it on Monorail/Crossmark Combo - no problems. You probally find that they put some ammonia based sealant in.

Hi at what pressure do you usually run the tyre?

Edit: The reason I am asking is that when you run a very low tyre pressure then that can also cause the tyre to delaminate

Edited by MariusD

Never experienced this delamination thing and I've used Schwalbe, Continental, Geax and Maxxis tyres so far - all with Stan's sealant. I normally only use the UST versions (or TNT for Geax) but I agree with WW above - how can it be so hard for each manufacturer to "approve" a sealant with their tyres?

:thumbup:

I'm wondering why these tyre manufacturers don't just bring out their own sealant that works with their own tyres ?

I'm wondering why these tyre manufacturers don't just bring out their own sealant that works with their own tyres ?

Maybe because then they couldn't blame someone else when the tyres delaminate.

I'm wondering if heat may be a factor. My bike was in the back of my car, and I had pumped the tyres hard (3 bar).

From http://nobmob.com/node/19502

Well, I had a conversation with the supplier of Maxxis tyres in NSW and he has told me that the Warranty WILL be respected if I use STANS tyre sealant. He told me they are aware that the bubbling does happen but it is still rare, and clearly a manufacturing issue. If any of you are having trouble getting the tyres replaced free of charge I suggest you get the Maxxis number off the shop manager [which ever store it is that you use] and call them directly. My store manager didn't push the case strongly enough and I was going to get shafted in the process!